Any idea what kinds of ducks I have?

SunAngel

Songster
11 Years
May 20, 2008
Chambersburg, Pa.
All the pics I find either look bigger or smaller than the ducks I have. I got them from auction and a friend, so I am not positive what they are.

Thanks in advance for any help.

This is my auction pair. My guesses maybe Appleyard and Peking (seems small)?
Pic_05Oct022008.jpg

This pair is from a friend. My guesses Ancona and Muscovy?
Pic_04Oct022008.jpg

first pair are calls . i know the white one is for sure the other one could be a mini applyard ?? but my bet is calls

second pair is iether ancona or my guess a magpie and a deffinite muscovey

Calls? Really?

I had a couple pairs of calls not too long ago, they were really loud, smaller and everything on them seemed much shorter/stubbier than these two. These two are very quiet and don't make those call noises...so I hadn't even thought they might be that.

I will take a peek at some Magpie pics.

Thanks for your opinion
smile.png

Last edited:
Ok I found some white call duck pics that look just like my white one. Maybe he is just quieter because he's a boy? That would be cool, then he wont get much bigger, if at all!

I think you could be right about the black and white one being a Magpie. Some of the pics I found look very much like him.

Thanks again for the help!!! Gotta love the smart people on BYC
big_smile.png

First pair is a white snowy call duck. If it's larger than a call duck, but not as big as a regular sized duck, it could be a mix, like a pekin/call. The second one in that pic does look like a mini appleyard. The second pic, the black and white one is a magpie(by the way, that's a drake--see his curl in his tail? Males have the curl)
smile.png
Here's a pic of my magpies:
http://i291.photobucket.com/albums/ll287/tboguski/IMG_3645.jpg I have three magpies(all girls). And then the other one is a muscovy.
smile.png

Aww a Snowy Call, ok I will accept that
smile.png

It is much smaller than the Magpie and Muscovy just about the same size as the Mini Appleyard. I guess the bill being a little bigger than the other calls I had is what threw me. But I did find some pics of call ducks with more normal length bills.

Guess I have to go change some names on my Duck page
smile.png

I thought of Pekin x Mallard and maybe Pekin x Muscovy

Last edited:
You can't see it but the Muscovy has a black patch on the back of her head. Other than that, she's all white.

I wondered if maybe she was a mix, just because she is much smaller than other Muscovies I have seen.

Would the white one be that small if he was mixed with a Mallard and Peking? He is smaller than a Mallard.

i would say he is a call just not a show bird seeing he was at auction he was prob a cull from a breeder . Only the calls with short beaks and such are showable . You have a "pet quality call " i would say . I would also say the muscovey is a pure muscovey . The muscovey crosses i used to get when mine crossbred usually never had any red stuff around thier faces and her small size may mean shes young or just small becasue she looks like a female to me .

Back
Top Bottom