Any idea what this is?

Alyssamary3

Chirping
Jan 25, 2021
Can anyone help us? Our usually very outgoing chicken didn’t come to say hi today. I found her hiding under the coop, which is very strange. When taking her out, I noticed that her chest looked like this. Her crop feels empty, and it’s evening now, so I expect she didn’t eat much today. We offered her some ham, which is her favorite, and she’s not interested. What should we do? She seemed normal yesterday.

Attachments

• C0CD605F-53AC-461D-B7BA-BC10BA4B1C72.jpeg
    C0CD605F-53AC-461D-B7BA-BC10BA4B1C72.jpeg
    336.9 KB · Views: 7
  • 62118343-6F75-4BBF-ADCB-AA57829079D3.jpeg
    62118343-6F75-4BBF-ADCB-AA57829079D3.jpeg
    405.7 KB · Views: 4
Just went to check on her again, and she put herself to bed for the night. She has clear liquid dripping from her vent, and something hanging from her vent that looks like an underdeveloped egg shell. Could an egg have broken inside?

I wiped her vent and got this out

Attachments

• 368C60D0-52A7-4A6D-863B-614129B72CCF.jpeg
    368C60D0-52A7-4A6D-863B-614129B72CCF.jpeg
    288.5 KB · Views: 4
Thank you! I’ll get the supplements in the morning. Is her red, bald chest unrelated to this? My daughter is worried sick about her. Everyone loves Olive

Attachments

• 1A748659-3C94-44E3-8FC0-9C5BE21E8CFC.jpeg
    1A748659-3C94-44E3-8FC0-9C5BE21E8CFC.jpeg
    379.6 KB · Views: 2
Can anyone help us? Our usually very outgoing chicken didn’t come to say hi today. I found her hiding under the coop, which is very strange. When taking her out, I noticed that her chest looked like this. Her crop feels empty, and it’s evening now, so I expect she didn’t eat much today. We offered her some ham, which is her favorite, and she’s not interested. What should we do? She seemed normal yesterday.

Just went to check on her again, and she put herself to bed for the night. She has clear liquid dripping from her vent, and something hanging from her vent that looks like an underdeveloped egg shell. Could an egg have broken inside?
The breast blister is not related to the shell membrane.

Does she still have liquid dripping from her vent? Were you able to get an intact membrane out of the vent?
Did she perk up once the membrane was removed?

I'd get some Calcium Citrate into her, 1 tablet daily, just pop the tablet into her beak and let her swallow.
Do monitor to see that she's drinking well and eating a little something. Hopefully she has expelled all of the egg material.
If she's still acting droopy in the morning, then consider getting her on an antibiotic to help with infection. Amoxicillin is a good choice.

Breast blister is somewhat common, it's like a pressure soar from usually where the bird rests during roosting. I would not even address the minor blister until she's back to herself and isn't having any productive issues.

I think there is still membrane inside of her. I definitely didn’t get a full eggs worth. Her vent was actively dripping when she hopped up on the roost for the night, which is when I was able to remove the piece that I saw hanging out. I can run to TSC in the morning and pick up calcium for her. Where would I get amoxi? And what is a chicken’s dose? Is this usually fatal? 😩 Thank you so much for your help.

Back
Top Bottom