Any idea why this is happening.

britinpa

Songster
Jun 22, 2020
Central Pennsylvania
I've noticed this week, one in my small flock of hen's feathers are thinning on her back. She looks good (if a little overweight) otherwise.

Attachments

• 20210414_185727.jpg
    20210414_185727.jpg
    490.6 KB · Views: 15
  • 20210414_185647.jpg
    20210414_185647.jpg
    705.8 KB · Views: 11
Looks like possible rooster damage. If you don’t have a rooster, one of the other dominate hens could be “mating” her. I have caught a couple of my hens on top of a lesser one several times.
I also think it looks like rooster damage.
Do you have a rooster in your flock?
I don't have any roosters - she is one of 8 pullets (10 months old)

Is the bottom of the pecking order?
Pecking may be happening at night while they are all roosting.
She isn't right at the bottom ( that's my Jenny), and I haven't really seen her get chased off when I'm around them. She is one of 3 of my brown black asians - one of these 3 (not Jenny) is often wandering around the coop at lock-up whilst the others are already roosting, maybe it is her

At night is best to check, it is less stress for everyone. Where a headlamp and check around her vent, under her wings, and in her chin area for any bugs.
You could also check the others, just to make sure.
It might be a bit difficult to get to her at night, as ours is not a walk-in coop. I trimmed some of their poopy butt feathers this past week, I didn't notice any around vents then, but I will definitely try and check tomorrow. I really hope we don't have that problem. If it's a pecking issue at night, I will have to add another roost. I was looking at adding a fixed roost a while ago, but decided not too as the coop is not a big one. I'm just eyeing up a moveble roost bar that I can put in at bed time and remove in the morning.

Back
Top Bottom