1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Any ideas/advice on moving a LARGE shed?

Discussion in 'Coop & Run - Design, Construction, & Maintenance' started by georgialee, Apr 27, 2009.

1. georgialee

georgialee Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 9, 2009
    Knoxville, TN
    My parents have a shed at their house (the rent-to-own kind) that they no longer want. It's about 8 feet wide and easily 10 or 12 feet long. Do you think it's best if I just call the people that delivered it and see if they will move it for us for a fee? I really really want to use it 1. b/c it's big and hold LOTS of chickens! and 2. b/c it's free. If we were to build something the same size it would easily be over $1000. Plus, I already paid for half of that shed when my parents first bought it (we were living with them for a while) so just letting it sit there and rot is throwing a lot of $$ away. Does anyone have any ideas or advice on the best way to move it? It will only be about 5 miles down the road. Thanks!

2. willowcol

willowcol Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 10, 2008
    Macclesfield NC
    We bought a shed that is 10X16 a few month back and this is how we moved it. We got a car trailer from a friend jacked the shed up and put it on blocks so the trailer could be back under it. put some blocks on the trailer for added support under the 4 corners. after the trailer was under the shed we jacked each corner up just enough to get the blocks out the slowly lowered each corner onto the trailer. after all 4 sides were done we strapped the shed to the trailer and drove slowly here, where we did the same thing in reverse. It only took about a hour.

Last edited: Apr 27, 2009
  3. Krieger

Krieger New Egg

Apr 11, 2009
    You may contact a wrecker/towing service that has a roll back type body on their truck. They can adjust the level of the truck bed to the level of the shed and winch it directly onto the bed. If you work around their schedule, you can probably get it done very inexpensively.

4. georgialee

Apr 9, 2009
    Knoxville, TN
    Thanks for the ideas! We don't have a car trailer so that won't work, unfortunately. I hadn't even thought about a wrecker service - that's a great idea!

5. BeccaOH

BeccaOH Morning Gem Farm

Oct 3, 2008
    east central Ohio
    I think Uhaul still rents car trailers.

I was going to get a used shed 10x12. I called a local shed builder. They would have moved it for me, but the price of the shed plus moving fees got too much for my budget.

6. toletiquesbysam

toletiquesbysam Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 19, 2008
    Nebraska
    Quote:We did this for our 16x8 "coop" shed, and I think it cost us $160, and was moved about 30miles. Not bad I didn't think, and easy for us!!

7. patandchickens

patandchickens Flock Mistress

Apr 20, 2007
    Ontario, Canada
    I'd suggest nailing in as many 2x6s as you can fit as diagonal bracing, on all the walls and across the ceiling and floor. Ideally you do one diagonal inside and the other diagonal outside, on each wall, if you can manage without schmucking up the siding too much.

The reason is that moving a shed makes it want to 'flex' in ways that sitting there in one place never does, and you don't want things loosening or wood splitting or the structure weakening.

Good luck, "have fun" [​IMG],

Pat

8. michiganlarry

michiganlarry Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 7, 2009
    Marine City, Michigan
    I just bought a 10x10 shed. It was put together with deck screws. We just took it apart. Ended up with 4 walls and the roof.

9. georgialee

Apr 9, 2009
    Knoxville, TN
    Thanks for all the replies!

I'll have my DH check and see if it was put together with screws ... that would make everything MUCH easier!

If it's nailed together I'll see if my mom or grandma know someone with a truck that would maybe give us a deal.

10. Big Chicken Little

Big Chicken Little Chillin' With My Peeps

Let the pros do it ..a friend with a truck can break 2 valuable things ..your shed and your friends friendship.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by