Any ideas how to keep duck ponds clean without major costs?

jynxster

Songster
8 Years
Dec 8, 2011
San Diego CA east county (Alpine)
Are there any fish that would eat the duck remnents in the duck ponds or??? that the ducks would not eat? ANY IDEAS. My pond is a plastic 300gal above ground pond no filter and no bubbler system as it is too far away from electricity for that type unit, I have to empty by hand and refill every other day?thanks fellow ducksters :}

Last edited:
Sorry I've had no luck with filters, I just dug out a pond in the ground and attached a drainage pipe, then I just drain it every few days, my pond is 9' by 3 1/2' and about 3' deep at the deepest part.

My husband dug a pond and lined it with stones. We have Gold Fish and other fish. This seems to work. Don't know about your type Pond.

Frogs come in Spring. This keeps the Pond Clean.

Ducks clog most filters. Fish cause a special sort of "dirt" There is a filter thats like a barrel with plastic bits in it, I have one and would sell it. Im using the farm pond now days. Plants do the best for long term filtering. You really just need like a kids pool you can dump, or a farm pond. Ducks are dirty.. thats just how it goes.

This answer may seem weird, but it's serious and may prove of good use to you...

Snails.

A whole lot of Snails.

As humorous as that sounds, water Snails do nothing but filter all the time. Having lots of Oxygenators like Cabomba and Pondweed might work well, too.

Last edited:
Quote:
Where do you get snails? Can you order them in the mail or something? Won't the ducks try to eat them?

Pond snails at pond stores as well as aquarium snails at most fish stores. Yes the ducks will eat some but pond snails reproduce very quickly.

Quote:
lol.png

Back
Top Bottom