Any Ideas on Breed?

Dec 17, 2023
Alabama
This is one of the little guys I hatched from assorted eggs on 1/12-1/13. He's lavenderish in color but has partially feathered legs. I'd have to go back and see what all my possibilities were. I did right after it was hatched and I was stumped on what it could be. I know I had a couple of lavender Orpingtons hatch, but the feathered legs are throwing that option out.

Attachments

• lavender chick1.jpg
    lavender chick1.jpg
    429.5 KB · Views: 34
  • lavender chick1-2.jpg
    lavender chick1-2.jpg
    303.5 KB · Views: 14
Updated to add that these were my options out of those assorted eggs:
2-Barred Rock
2-Black Australorp
2-Black Copper Maran
2-Easter Egger
2-Lavender/Black split to Lavender Orpingtons
4-Olive Egger
4-Rhode Island Red
2-Salmon Faverolles
2-Welsummer
I know for a fact that none of the OE hatched, both Orpingtons hatched and are lavender. Maybe Easter Egger?

I think it's an olive egger rather than a regular Easter egger. The feathered legs probably came from a Marans parent.
I agree. Easter Eggers normally don't have feathered feet. Olive Egger do sometimes. Where did you get the hatching eggs? Different hatcheries have different variants of Easter Egger and Olive Egger genes in there flock.

Edit: it posted by mistake when I was halfway through. I've got it fixed now.

I am assuming that each breed is supposed to be a purebred. If the labels are actually the mother's breeds, with a single rooster siring them all, that would make a big chance in the situation.

Going through all the breeds one by one, we can rule most of them out:

2-Barred Rock
The chick is not a Barred Rock (wrong color, and Rocks do not have feathered feet.)

2-Black Australorp
The chick is not a black Australorp (color looks wrong, and Australorps do not have feathered feet.

2-Lavender/Black split to Lavender Orpingtons
You ruled this out, because both of them hatched and you identified those two chicks.

4-Olive Egger
You ruled this out, because none of them hatched.

4-Rhode Island Red
The chick is not a Rhode Island Red (wrong color, and Rhode Island Reds do not have feathered feet)

2-Salmon Faverolles
I am ruling this one out, because the chick color is badly wrong for a Salmon Faverolles (although they do have feathered feet.)

2-Welsummer
The chick is not a Welsummer (wrong color, and Welsummers do not have feathered feet.)

2-Black Copper Maran
Maybe?? The color looks wrong to me, but not too badly wrong, and Marans can have feathered feet.

2-Easter Egger

I agree with you that this one seems most likely.
Can you get a picture of the head with comb? That might help a bit (Easter Eggers can have any kind of comb, but Marans would only have a single comb. So if the comb is not single, that rules out the Marans, leaving Easter Egger as the only possible option.)

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom