Lavender Ameracauna Rooster and mystery mom?

GardenGreen

In the Brooder
Oct 10, 2021
I originally hatched it out in an incubator and then slipped him/her under a broody silkie who is now her mom.

Dad is definitely a Lavender Ameracauna

I have a lot of breeds of hens but majority of Lavender's babies are black.

So why is this little guy/gal WHITE?!

The neck in a video when they were first hatched looked just like a Naked Neck.

Anyone have any ideas?

Possible mom is too many breeds to list at the moment.

Thanks or any help!

Attachments

• 20240307_184337.jpg
    20240307_184337.jpg
    216.4 KB · Views: 17
  • 20240307_184221.jpg
    20240307_184221.jpg
    233 KB · Views: 3
  • 20240307_184238.jpg
    20240307_184238.jpg
    131.5 KB · Views: 4
  • Screenshot_20240228_172944_Gallery.jpg
    Screenshot_20240228_172944_Gallery.jpg
    138.8 KB · Views: 5
  • 20240221_131751.jpg
    20240221_131751.jpg
    460.7 KB · Views: 5
  • VideoCapture_20240221-122007.jpg
    VideoCapture_20240221-122007.jpg
    677.9 KB · Views: 3
  • 20240219_082746.jpg
    20240219_082746.jpg
    398 KB · Views: 3
  • 20240307_184311.jpg
    20240307_184311.jpg
    250.3 KB · Views: 5
  • 20240307_184309.jpg
    20240307_184309.jpg
    255.7 KB · Views: 4
  • 20240307_184226.jpg
    20240307_184226.jpg
    241.7 KB · Views: 4
Dad is definitely a Lavender Ameracauna

I have a lot of breeds of hens but majority of Lavender's babies are black.

So why is this little guy/gal WHITE?!
There is a gene called Dominant White that turns black into white all over the chicken, but leaves red/gold colors alone. The chick probably has that gene.

The Lavender rooster would give the genes to be black all over (dominant over most other color patterns in chickens) and then the mother would give the Dominant White gene to turn all that black into white.

Possible mom is too many breeds to list at the moment.
Look for a hen with a white tail, probably showing some amount of red or gold in the rest of her coloring. She might have some pattern of white in the rest of her feathers as well.

Red Sexlinks would be like this (Gold Comet, ISA Brown, Red Star, etc.)
Any breed in the color White Laced Red, or Buff Laced, or Chamois, or Red Pyle would also have the Dominant White gene.

Or look for a hen that is completely white. Some all-white hens have Dominant White and produce white chicks when bred to any color of rooster (White Leghorns are known for this, and some other white breeds do it too.) Some all-white hens have a different set of genes that still lets them produce black chicks when bred to a Lavender rooster (White Jersey Giants would be this kind of white, and not the mother of the white chick.)

I assume you already thought of this, but if you are sure the white chick came from the brown egg in the photo, you can rule out all the hens that lay white, blue, or green eggs.

There is a gene called Dominant White that turns black into white all over the chicken, but leaves red/gold colors alone. The chick probably has that gene.

The Lavender rooster would give the genes to be black all over (dominant over most other color patterns in chickens) and then the mother would give the Dominant White gene to turn all that black into white.

Look for a hen with a white tail, probably showing some amount of red or gold in the rest of her coloring. She might have some pattern of white in the rest of her feathers as well.

Any breed in the color White Laced Red, or Buff Laced, or Chamois, or Red Pyle would also have the Dominant White gene.

Or look for a hen that is completely white. Some all-white hens have Dominant White and produce white chicks when bred to any color of rooster (White Leghorns are known for this, and some other white breeds do it too.) Some all-white hens have a different set of genes that still lets them produce black chicks when bred to a Lavender rooster (White Jersey Giants would be this kind of white, and not the mother of the white chick.)

I assume you already thought of this, but if you are sure the white chick came from the brown egg in the photo, you can rule out all the hens that lay white, blue, or green eggs.
Whoooooah! Thats so cool thank you!! I do have an ISA brown and the only other white feathered hen i have would be a splash Ameracauna but this chick came from a brown egg not a blue one like hers. This is fascinating thank you for your response!

Oh and yes it's absolutely that egg. It was the first one to hatch out of 6 incubated eggs. Everyone else is black. Idk if I can post the video of it hatching.. but it looks just like a turken baby lol I have a buff turken. Could that be the mom?

Whoooooah! Thats so cool thank you!! I do have an ISA brown and the only other white feathered hen i have would be a splash Ameracauna but this chick came from a brown egg not a blue one like hers. This is fascinating thank you for your response!
Then I think the ISA Brown is probably the mother.

Oh and yes it's absolutely that egg. It was the first one to hatch out of 6 incubated eggs. Everyone else is black.
That does make it easy to be sure :)

Idk if I can post the video of it hatching.. but it looks just like a turken baby lol I have a buff turken. Could that be the mom?
Yes, a Buff Turken could possibly be the mother. Buffs are not supposed to show any black, so some of them have Dominant White to turn any little black flecks into white. I had forgotten about that when I was listing chickens that might have Dominant White.

But I notice the chick does not have a naked neck.
Can you post a photo of the Turken? Preferably one that shows her neck & breast area from the front or side. There are different degrees of naked neck, and some of them can produce babies with feathered necks while others will only produce naked-necks.

Back
Top Bottom