Naked neck possible cockerel?

Holdthechicken

Songster
Mar 11, 2023
3 weeks old today, I got this chick locally with another yellow but now white chick, I asked if they were crossed with anything and the breeder said “no they are 100% Transylvania turkens”… but my little black chick has ended up barred and he also had 50 barred rocks for sale so I’m thinking mom or dad jumped a fence. Do you think this is a possible cockerel, the reddening around the face just started in the last two days but I’m not seeing any wattle growth yet and the comb is relatively yellow still but the comb is quite a bit bigger than the hatch mate. I know it’s very early but I’m curious what others think.

Attachments

• 6768E09F-824E-4C6E-BA83-F993EF003371.jpeg
    6768E09F-824E-4C6E-BA83-F993EF003371.jpeg
    290.3 KB · Views: 54
  • 113C31F6-4286-44FB-A055-207137CF42FF.jpeg
    113C31F6-4286-44FB-A055-207137CF42FF.jpeg
    467.3 KB · Views: 25
  • 07C218BB-6546-423B-A131-3FA3EA56F203.jpeg
    07C218BB-6546-423B-A131-3FA3EA56F203.jpeg
    407.7 KB · Views: 26
Thank you! I’ve never had naked necks before and I know they can have red skin so I wasn’t sure if this was just skin reddening, but compared to my white one its a pretty big difference.
EE35E1F5-25E7-4665-89A7-9A65DA8DB9FC.jpeg

Attachments

• 56BD2116-A238-4F62-9650-91D5D19EBBC9.jpeg
    56BD2116-A238-4F62-9650-91D5D19EBBC9.jpeg
    341 KB · Views: 25
Seems likely actually he had 2 naked neck parents as his neck is totally bare with no bow tie.
So I wondered about this.. so he could have a barred naked neck parent or parents and be considered full naked neck? I know they can basically be crossed with any other breed, but he’s got the full bare neck so I was a little confused. The breeder said he was full NN but I didn’t think barred was a recognized variation so I assumed he was crossed.

My white has a lot more feathers on her neck.

Attachments

• 1536448B-2E8C-4E66-9C0F-8A4BF75BCD7A.jpeg
    1536448B-2E8C-4E66-9C0F-8A4BF75BCD7A.jpeg
    349.1 KB · Views: 22
So I wondered about this.. so he could have a barred naked neck parent or parents and be considered full naked neck? I know they can basically be crossed with any other breed, but he’s got the full bare neck so I was a little confused. The breeder said he was full NN but I didn’t think barred was a recognized variation so I assumed he was crossed.

My white has a lot more feathers on her neck.
I think naked neck genes are so convoluted here in the US, that there is no standard color or patterns.
The breeder probably just means that both parents were naked necks.
I envy you! Those two are gorgeous!

I think naked neck genes are so convoluted here in the US, that there is no standard color or patterns.
The breeder probably just means that both parents were naked necks.
I envy you! Those two are gorgeous!
Thank you so much, I’ve read so much about chicken genetics.. it’s nice to know not all the rules apply to these little ones. We love these two! And while roosters aren’t an immediate no for us, we do have two young kids so I’ll have to keep my eye on his behavior. I appreciate your feedback!

Thank you so much, I’ve read so much about chicken genetics.. it’s nice to know not all the rules apply to these little ones. We love these two! And while roosters aren’t an immediate no for us, we do have two young kids so I’ll have to keep my eye on his behavior. I appreciate your feedback!
https://www.backyardchickens.com/articles/naked-necks-1.51148/

Here’s a thread on how the gene works.

I agree the breeder likely just means they have 2 naked neck parents not necessarily that they’re breed to standard colors.

They are totally adorable :) naked necks are sone of my favorite chicks. I know it will vary by line but for what it’s worth all the naked neck roosters I’ve had have been well mannered. They have gotten along fine in my multi rooster flock and never seen any hint of human aggression. So if that holds true with yours I can recommend them as a good breed of rooster for someone with kids around.

https://www.backyardchickens.com/articles/naked-necks-1.51148/

Here’s a thread on how the gene works.

I agree the breeder likely just means they have 2 naked neck parents not necessarily that they’re breed to standard colors.

They are totally adorable :) naked necks are sone of my favorite chicks. I know it will vary by line but for what it’s worth all the naked neck roosters I’ve had have been well mannered. They have gotten along fine in my multi rooster flock and never seen any hint of human aggression. So if that holds true with yours I can recommend them as a good breed of rooster for someone with kids around.
That’s awesome to hear and thanks for the link!. I wanted them so badly my awesome spouse scoured the internet and found these two, three hours away a few weeks ago and picked them up for me.. I’ve only ever heard good things so I’ve got a lot of hope for this cute guy.

Back
Top Bottom