Any ideas on HOW to get my girls to go and STAY outside?

Oh, I see now - the yard is too sparsely populated for them, they don't feel safe. They need things to hide under, things to hop up on. Got an old picnic table, or patio set not being used? That would help. I like to put up corner roosts, maybe bury an old tire to jump up on. Lots of opportunity for enrichment, in an enclosure that big!
The won't take their feet off of the ground! There ARE branches for them to get on. Both elevated and on the ground. They either jump over OR walk under them. NEVER on them. LOL

I will have to see what I can figure out though for things for them to go under. We have a LOT of wind off and on so things blowing over are a REAL issue. (So will jsut get creative as far as that goes.) There are wind breaks (one on each side. So it isn't that they can't be outside AND out of the wind though. They really don't even seem to mind the wind, they don't spend "more" time inside when it is windy! LOL

Another idea, either place some sod in some parts of the run or even some fresh grass clippings when you mow, they will love it!
I do give them a clump of grass with dirt attached every day. (I don't have a normal "lawn". It is the same grasses as the pasture, not grass like "lawn type" grass. Don't even have a bagger for the riding mower so clippings are not going to happen.) I also give them things like broccoli, lettuce, apple and such. They want NO PART of any of that. (Other than the grass clumps. They like that.) LOL But I keep trying.

I do give them a clump of grass with dirt attached every day. (I don't have a normal "lawn". It is the same grasses as the pasture, not grass like "lawn type" grass. Don't even have a bagger for the riding mower so clippings are not going to happen.) I also give them things like broccoli, lettuce, apple and such. They want NO PART of any of that. (Other than the grass clumps. They like that.) LOL But I keep trying.
An idea that may save you time... I’ve done this before I got a bagger... cut a part of the lawn in one direction and then cut in the opposite direction to make a strip of cut clippings, then use a shovel or pitchfork to put some into a bucket/basket.

It certainly is bright and sunny in the run.

You will need shaded spots for them for summer for sure.

Maybe make a couple 3 sided spaces using pallets. The slats will not catch as much wind and being 3 sided will have a bit more stability.
If you bang in a T-post at both pallets on the open side it will give you something to tie to to prevent wind issues.

Maybe dig up the center section of one 3 sided space for dust bathing.

That is a nice big run you have. I have no doubt they will eventually start spending more time out there either way. However, I agree with other posts that more stuff to do, hang out on, and hide behind will probably speed it up.
And, maybe the coop is just super nice to them. Mine are a bit older at about 7 months. There has been times when they would spend 2 or 3 weeks staying mostly in the coop digging, and then they will be back in the run which is where they normally spend the majority of their time.

I am sure only being there for 5 weeks coupled with a big safe feeling coop is the primary reason. They will start going out more eventually.

An idea that may save you time... I’ve done this before I got a bagger... cut a part of the lawn in one direction and then cut in the opposite direction to make a strip of cut clippings, then use a shovel or pitchfork to put some into a bucket/basket.
THIS is the "lawn". What you can't see in the pictures is that it isn't ALL grass. It is mostly a lot of "clumps" of grass with dirt between them. When I mow, the clippings collect in the spaces. (If I am too lazy to use the riding mower, then the tractor and brush hog mows it.)
BUT I also have 20 acres worth of it. So I have a LOT that I just give them a clump of like i have been doing. Besides, like I said, there is grass and weeds growing IN the run since they aren't out there much. LOL The ground is VERY hard in about 2/3 of the run. But there are shavings that I have cleaned out of the coop on the other third so they DO have places where they can scratch around outside. (That is what they do all day INside.)

IMG_5890.JPG

It certainly is bright and sunny in the run.

You will need shaded spots for them for summer for sure.

Maybe make a couple 3 sided spaces using pallets. The slats will not catch as much wind and being 3 sided will have a bit more stability.
If you bang in a T-post at both pallets on the open side it will give you something to tie to to prevent wind issues.

Maybe dig up the center section of one 3 sided space for dust bathing.
Yeah, I'm getting some shade cloth for shade out there too. The sides of the run are either heavy duty 2x4 welded wire panels or hog panels welded to angle iron so the "walls" are STOUT and I can attach things to them for stability too.

That is a nice big run you have. I have no doubt they will eventually start spending more time out there either way. However, I agree with other posts that more stuff to do, hang out on, and hide behind will probably speed it up.
And, maybe the coop is just super nice to them. Mine are a bit older at about 7 months. There has been times when they would spend 2 or 3 weeks staying mostly in the coop digging, and then they will be back in the run which is where they normally spend the majority of their time.

I am sure only being there for 5 weeks coupled with a big safe feeling coop is the primary reason. They will start going out more eventually.
This shows more of the run but still not all of it. I've got several pallets already to that will be my next project. (Making "hidey houses" out there. LOL) To be honest I have been putting it off because I tend to get tired of doing things like that for NO REASON. They are still in the "2 feet ON THE FLOOR: phase. (I HOPE it is a phase LOL.) They don't climb on things AT ALL. They also still sleep on the floor.

Attachments

• IMG_5545.JPG
    IMG_5545.JPG
    206.3 KB · Views: 13
They "dust bathe" inside too. LOL They also have a spot outside that they have used, but I don't know how much they have used it lately.

That is such a nice big space!

I know mine will head indoors for days and days if they have seen a hawk. The hiding spots really do help.

Your birds look pretty young yet. They'll get there eventually. My latest group of pullets refused to leave the house for weeks too. If there were adults to show them how to do things it wouldn't take so long lol.

Breaking up some soil will make it more enticing. Now my crazy birds all come running if I have a shovel in hand.

Back
Top Bottom