1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Any ideas on how to keep squirrels off our fence?

Discussion in 'Predators and Pests' started by huf, Mar 16, 2011.

1. huf

huf Out Of The Brooder

Feb 14, 2011
    Silicon Valley
    We have way too many squirrels coming into our yard running long the top of our fences, using them to get into the yard, running along the fence tops and driving our dog crazy. Any ideas on a humane treatment to the top of the fence that might deter squirrels from landing or running on them? One that wonÂ’t be too noticeable?

That would help keep our dog calmer (good thing for the chickens stress levels), our yard nicer and hopefully keep them out of the chicken feeders.

Thanks!
    Jeannie.

2. Doormantnt

Doormantnt Chillin' With My Peeps

May 4, 2009
    Glen Burnie, MD
    A high powered air rifle. very humane.

1 person likes this.
  3. ailurophile23

ailurophile23 Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 21, 2010
    VA
    You could try greasing the fencetops or something else to make it slippery for the squirrels - just depends on your type of fencing. Some people have used PVC pipe that is free to rotate (so the squirrels roll off) as well. But truthfully, squirrels are professionals when it comes to figuring out how to get around such "deterrants". Maybe some plastic owls or hawks along the fence? Good luck.

4. GarlicEater

GarlicEater Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 23, 2011
    Gilroy, CA
    Quote:I was gonna say, sounds like a shooting gallery!

5. aggie9296

aggie9296 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 28, 2011
    Panama City, FL
    I have yet to see anything deter squirrels short of killing them or trapping and relocating. I watched one crawl up a metal down spout, so I doubt there's anything you can put on your fence to keep them off.

6. Sonoran Silkies

Sonoran Silkies Flock Mistress

Jan 4, 2009
    Tempe, Arizona
    Electric fencing?

7. enola

enola Overrun With Chickens

Electric fencing is your answer. When squirrels start eating chicken feed, I trap them and feed them to the dog. At $15 a bag, I can not afford to feed squirrels.

8. aggie9296

aggie9296 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 28, 2011
    Panama City, FL
    these are the same squirrels that can navigate on and off high voltage power lines without being fried (usually. I did see it once). I doubt a little 110 volt is going to bother them much! They just jump over it.

9. enola

enola Overrun With Chickens

You have to run the wire along the top of the fence. The wire is too fine for them to run on, so when a foot has to be used for retaining balance . . . ZAP . . . . and the squirrel flies off of the fence.

Squirrels are smart, one time is usually enough!

10. PartridgeRckgal

PartridgeRckgal Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 22, 2011
    Quote:x2

Lots of people like fried squirrel and gravy.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by