Any ideas on run design

The chicken nurd

Songster
Apr 4, 2021
I was just wondering if anyone had any ideas for run design
Right now my run is just open space (I’ll post a picture in a bit) and I was planning on adding perches and clutter to bring down some of the pecking that’s going on especially with the lower members in the pecking order but I need ideas of what to add
Thanks
- the chicken nurd

What to add depends on the area and height of the run.
I grab old wood chairs and stools that I see people put out for trash collection. I installed natural branches in the corners and along one wall of the run. I have two clusters of varying height stumps.
I have two pallets leaning against each other in the pen along with two old wood saw horses.

This is what my run looked like before I finished the new coop and moved everyone.

0902210823_HDR.jpg

The pallet on blocks is the perennial favorite.

My first thought on run design when there is pecking is can you make it bigger. That's not always easy or even possible. Clutter can greatly imp[rove the quality of what room you do have. Clutter means anything they can hide under, behind, or over (out of reach from the ground). Photos can help tell us what might or might or might not work. For example, a good way to do it is to lean a piece of plywood or a pallet against a fence (attaching the top so wind can't blow it over), but if your fence is electric netting that won't work.

You are trying to not create dead ends. You want the chicken to not be trapped but be able to run out the far end if it is chased. You want to be able to walk around in there. How important is pretty to you? Your neighbors might get upset if it can be seen and you junk it up, bringing neighborhood property values down. There is nothing wrong with building something that looks cute. The chickens won't care but you or the neighbors might. It often helps to have extra feeding and watering places available, preferably out of line of sight.

What do you have available? Pallets or old satellite dishes up on blocks are favorites. About anything you can lay down they can hide behind or something leaning against a fence or building. Perches high enough that the ones on the ground can't peck their toes can be good. A table might give you an elevated place to put food or water that the ones on the ground can't see.

What you do is pretty much left to your imagination.

Here’s a picture of my run for reference sorry not the best picture
But the run is 12x14 and about 8 to 10 feet tall (can’t quiet remember)
It is also probably possible to make it bigger

Attachments

• B1514889-76FB-4F54-A480-E407998BB08D.jpeg
    B1514889-76FB-4F54-A480-E407998BB08D.jpeg
    964.2 KB · Views: 15
A 12 x 14 is better than I was envisioning. You have room to put stuff in there and still be able to walk around.

I'd probably start with a perch maybe 4' off of the ground. You could put a perch across a corner but I'd be tempted to use hangers coming down from one of those rafters to support a perch. Or build something free standing. I think that would be easier for you to walk around in there. Put a pallet or something up on cinder blocks. Maybe lay something about 18" high and 3 or 4 feet long in the middle with food and water behind it. Lean a pallet or something against the fence. See how much difference that makes.

Back
Top Bottom