Any ideas on what colors these are?

You know i am thinking 3 of my males are split cameo because the breeder only had one pen of blues and they were throwing pieds and split whies only so these boys had to come from the cameo pen if all males look blue but are split cameo.
So if i breed one of them with my cameo female (their sister) can i get cameos of both sexes or are they gonna be sexlinked also?
I want to know because i plan on selling these boys but i also want more cameos and i only got 1 last year so if this would give me what i want them i could keep one male for breeding, i want a male cameo here

If you breed the split cameo male with their sister, you should get cameos of both sexes (25% cameo males, 25% IB split cameo males, 25% cameo hens and 25% IB hens). Odds may not play in your favour for getting males, but its worth a try.

I'm pretty sure that two of them are india blue and one is pied, but the buff colored one has me stumped. The hens that it possibly came from are india blue, pied, spalding, black shouldered; the peacocks would be white, dark pied IB, Midnight BS, Jade Spalding.... Thanks.
Sorry we have hijacked your thead, seems like when we are learning together here one question can lead to many more in order to understand.
Take some more photos in about a week, it may give a more defendant answer to the color, i say it's a cameo hen, hope i am right you will love the hens color, i normally don't care for earth tone colors but her molten colors made me want to change the color of my tile counter tops in my new home we will be building very soon.

I'll be honest and say I didn't try to puzzle out all of the posts, but I'll make mention of something that no one outright told me for a long time about gender-carried colors in peafowl.

Males are ZZ (think XX like human females) and females are ZW (Think XY in human males).

The gender-chromosome carried colors (cameo, purple, peach... I think sonja's violete?) are the same as any other color in the males, needing 2 copies to be displayed. However, in the females, there is no other Z, so a hen with the cameo genetic coding will necessarily be cameo (and we know it's carried on the Z because the males can be that color and they HAVE no W). She cannot be "split" to cameo because if she has it, she is it.

Similarly, she cannot be split to any other gender-chromosome carried color, because these colors are alleles of one another- this means that the genetic coding for these colors takes up the same space on the chromosome upon which they are carried (think of a car trying to park in the same parking spot as another already parked car. The Cameo car can't park where the Purple car is parked, because the purple car is already there. I'm blatantly ignoring Peach for the moment).

She CAN be split to colors which are NOT carried on the gender chromosome, however, because the genetic coding for those colors are not alleles of the gender carried ones. So a Cameo hen could be split to opal no problem.

The current theory to which Arbor referred to earlier is that Peach is a result of what happens when you "park" purple and cameo in the same bird. The fact that peach birds are produced from matings with cameo and purple birds (I don't claim to know what combination produces this, I admit that peach is one I haven't really had much to do with) suggests that, perhaps, the two genes are both gender linked but perhaps not alleles as previously thought.

I hope that helps clear things up a smidge.

I just thought I had the basic split deal down, now I find it is even harder to understand. I do have a breeding question. Before I bought my peafowl I thought I read that you should not breed related peafowl. Yet I see threads that talk about breeding back to the male the daughter I think or sisters. Also someone gets two chicks same color at the same time from the same place hoping one is hen and one is cock. Did I get this wrong and run all over the country trying to insure they weren't related for nothing?

I don't like the idea of breeding brother and sister especially when i know nothing of the parents and grand parents because they very well could have been brother and sister for all i know but i am limited on what i have here because trying to have some reserved ahead of time left me with what i now have .

Lil Zoo, you did right trying to get unrelated birds. However, the reality of the various colors is that they are mutations that had to be outcrossed in order to make more of them, and there is necessarily some inbreeding involved there. It's best if you can breed WITHOUT inbreeding.

Lil Zoo, you did right trying to get unrelated birds. However, the reality of the various colors is that they are mutations that had to be outcrossed in order to make more of them, and there is necessarily some inbreeding involved there. It's best if you can breed WITHOUT inbreeding.
OK my brain is feeble lately. I think I will leave that to the experts and glad they are able to do this to give us a variety of color choices. I just wanted to make sure that I read the article right, but also think that it is good if people that are new to peafowl like me have this in mind when they purchase new babies they hope to breed.

I don't like the idea of breeding brother and sister especially when i know nothing of the parents and grand parents because they very well could have been brother and sister for all i know but i am limited on what i have here because trying to have some reserved ahead of time left me with what i now have .
You know what you are doing, I don't at this point. It's like looking for white hens. I would rather not buy them from the same person, but heck I can't even find them at this point to worry about it. On another post you commented on the cameo hen being so beautiful. You are right tonight I really observed the variation in their coloring it's rather spectacular.

These chicks are two months old- what are the lighter colored ones? Cameos? They are lighter in color than the chick that I posted a picture of earlier...I'll try to get an updated picture of them up here too...
Thanks!

Here's a recent picture of the original four chicks in this thread...ignore the messy feathers (they polished off a bowl of watermelon and got a little sticky I think)

Back
Top Bottom