Any ideas on what colors these are?

iahusker

Hatching
7 Years
Jul 30, 2012
I'm pretty sure that two of them are india blue and one is pied, but the buff colored one has me stumped. The hens that it possibly came from are india blue, pied, spalding, black shouldered; the peacocks would be white, dark pied IB, Midnight BS, Jade Spalding.... Thanks.

don't know, but they are some nice looking peachicks!
welcome-byc.gif

That light one looks like my cameo did when she was little, could be the father was an IB out of a cameo and the breeder did not know and now you have a little cameo male show up
Here is my cameo, her mother was a blackshouldered her father a cameo, she is a bit older in this photo than your baby.

Last edited:
I'm not good at this, but the yellow one in the top left looks like my silver pied did as a baby, mostly yellow, white flights comming in and spots of color mostly on the upper back. here's a pict to compare.

IDK how old your's are but on the right is Houdini at 3 weeks.

Houdini is the farthest left in this pict - 5 days old. sorry not the greatest pict. but they both have the lines of color on the top of their heads. and the color on their backs looks the same.
Cute chicks :)

Last edited:
Could be a silver pied I guess...definately more white than color. One of the IB is a dark pied (has the white wing feathers)...I'm confused how one could come out cameo though....

Cameo is a mutation from blue somewhere down the line, so if you bred a cameo male to any colored hen like IB the females will all hatch out the color of cameo but the males will look like IB .
the male then carries the cameo gene or as they say it here IB split cameo and if bred it can produce cameos and they will be males if i am understing it wright.

So if my IB cock is split cameo, and the hen was IB, am I correct in saying that if that chick is in fact a cameo, it is a hen?

Last edited:
Cameo male... IB hen
examples
1.cameo male to IB hen all cameos are hens all males are IB
2. IB male to cameo hen all males are cameo all females are IB
3.IB split cameo bred to IB all male cameo all hens IB
Cameo cannot be split because it is a sexlink color but IB is just a split so it can be passed on the next generation.
If this is wrong then someone with more knowdlege needs to chime in but this is what i understand abut genes in peas

Cameo is a mutation from blue somewhere down the line, so if you bred a cameo male to any colored hen like IB the females will all hatch out the color of cameo but the males will look like IB .
the male then carries the cameo gene or as they say it here IB split cameo and if bred it can produce cameos and they will be males if i am understing it wright.
Cameo males can only be produced by breeding a cameo male or "split to cameo" male to a cameo hen. Like many of the mutations, they can suddenly appear down the line without you knowing until it shows up. The white male that was mentioned in the first post may actually be cameo but masked by the white. Any of the other colours could be split to or carrying cameo as well.
Iahusker - your chick with the white flight feather(s) could be split to white and not dark pied. You will not know unless you breed it (ideally) to a white.

Cameo male... IB hen
examples
1.cameo male to IB hen all cameos are hens all males are IB - correct, but all males are IB split cameo
2. IB male to cameo hen all males are cameo all females are IB - not correct no cameos produced, all males are split cameo, and all hens are IB
3.IB split cameo bred to IB all male cameo all hens IB - not correct 50% males will be split to cameo, 50% males will be IB (no physical difference between the two) 50% females will be IB and 50% females will be cameo
Cameo cannot be split because it is a sexlink color but IB is just a split so it can be passed on the next generation. - not correct I have cameo hens split to opal, I also have males split to both. It has not been proven or disproven that the peach colour is the result of purple and cameo blending. This I am attempting next season.
If this is wrong then someone with more knowdlege needs to chime in but this is what i understand abut genes in peas

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom