Any ideas on what might be wrong?

Could be a broken toe or infection in the joint. If it feels hot it is probably got an infection of some form or another. Maybe bumblefoot or something else. Might consider some antibiotics for your bird. May help.
I'm thinking an antibiotic is my next step, if I don't see improvement. I've had it wrapped. It is in 2 places though.

Do you think she actually needs antibiotics or do you just not know what else to do? If it isnt hot, I would probably skip the antibiotics so you have them for a bigger issue down the road (and because antibiotic resistance is a thing). But I have no idea what's wrong with her foot so, grain of salt.

It could be she stepped or climbed on something sharp. Soak her foot/feet in warm Epson Salts and swish the water around for about 15-20 min. It looks like her feet and legs are not only dry but dirty. Use any gentle soap like Dawn soap for washing. Rub her feet and legs to clean the scales on her feet and legs. You can use a soft bristle toothbrush. This might take longer than 20 minutes then dry. Then message a liberal amount of Vaseline onto her toes, feet and legs. Apply a Triple antibiotic on the little sore/abrasion area. You may have to wrap this particular area to keep it clean during the day. If you do this before roosting time, the Vaseline/Triple antibiotic can better stay on her clean skin all night. Repeat this for several evenings until you notice an improvement difference. This will also allow for some good bonding time with her. Anytime a chicken has any type of injury, they are stressed. Cooking her a scramble egg will boost her protein and the sore will heal quicker. The key will be to soak nightly, message Vaseline and apply a liberal amount of the Triple antibiotic oint. Then set her on her roost. This may sound over kill but, your chickens foot will heal up. Check out the coop and run to clear anything that she may have stepped on to injure her foot. I am glad you noticed this sooner than later as you are ahead of the game to healing up her foot.

It could be she stepped or climbed on something sharp. Soak her foot/feet in warm Epson Salts and swish the water around for about 15-20 min. It looks like her feet and legs are not only dry but dirty. Use any gentle soap like Dawn soap for washing. Rub her feet and legs to clean the scales on her feet and legs. You can use a soft bristle toothbrush. This might take longer than 20 minutes then dry. Then message a liberal amount of Vaseline onto her toes, feet and legs. Apply a Triple antibiotic on the little sore/abrasion area. You may have to wrap this particular area to keep it clean during the day. If you do this before roosting time, the Vaseline/Triple antibiotic can better stay on her clean skin all night. Repeat this for several evenings until you notice an improvement difference. This will also allow for some good bonding time with her. Anytime a chicken has any type of injury, they are stressed. Cooking her a scramble egg will boost her protein and the sore will heal quicker. The key will be to soak nightly, message Vaseline and apply a liberal amount of the Triple antibiotic oint. Then set her on her roost. This may sound over kill but, your chickens foot will heal up. Check out the coop and run to clear anything that she may have stepped on to injure her foot. I am glad you noticed this sooner than later as you are ahead of the game to healing up her foot.
These pictures were taken Friday. I've been cleaning her foot every evening (once she is in the coop) and keeping it wrapped with ointment on it. I've not seen any change. I will definitely keep that up. Good idea about feeding her some scrambled eggs.

These pictures were taken Friday. I've been cleaning her foot every evening (once she is in the coop) and keeping it wrapped with ointment on it. I've not seen any change. I will definitely keep that up. Good idea about feeding her some scrambled eggs.
Make sure you are soaking her foot in Epson salts and give the scales a good wash. You can even soak her foot in a diluted Betadine Solution too. Vetericyn spray is a good antibiotic spray but, it is a bit pricey so a Triple Antibiotic ointment is a good bet for being inexpensive. The other item is Chlorhexidine as this is an excellence choice. You'll mostly find it in the dog section or in dog shampoo.
Since you started this on Friday, its technically a few days. Don't be surprise if you do this nightly for a few weeks! With your Perseverance, you will see an improvement. After the soak, are you able to squeeze anything out of it?
Please post updated pictures as soon as you get them and post pictures of the inside of the coop and her run. This information can be very helpful, as we can see things that you may not be able to.

I want to add that I am cleaning it daily, applying ointment and dressing it. I there are no wounds and it is affecting both her toe AND the pad of her foot. I am worried because she is lethargic and clearly unwell. I have effectively cared for injured birds and am treating it as such, but I feel like I may be able to treat it BETTER if I knew what it was. I've had birds a few years and have not seen anything like it. I will try to get better pictures of what I'm seeing.

It is not presenting as bumblefoot, but it could still be an infection. Infection in chickens is often staphylococcal in nature; better known as staph-infection, and is every bit as lethal in chickens as it is in humans. Without an avian veterinarian to run tests you're pretty much forced to 'shotgun' for a solution.
If I were shotgunning this, I'd put her on antibiotics then, since the bathing and wound dressing have been ineffective; be mindful to heed warnings about egg withdrawal (don't eat the eggs if the instructions say not to eat them) if you go this route. If it were my girl, and I suspected Staph, this is what I'd do. I'm not a vet, but I have been an avid poultry lover/'mommy' for many years. Keeping you and your feathered family in my prayers.

Photos of her poop and of her please.
Some more of the foot pad, how she stands, etc. would be good too.

What do you feed, does she lay eggs, how long have you had her?
Crop emptying overnight?
Any bloat/swelling or fluid in the abdomen below the vent between her legs?

New pictures please! No change at all? :(

(re:egg withdrawal, if they're just for you to eat, I personally go with the less strict rules in the UK over what the FDA allows 😇)

Back
Top Bottom