Any ideas on what might be wrong?

I am so Happy you found out why she was so blue. Wyorp Rock is incredibly knowledgeable. If you need additional help remember to use the @symbol directly in front of that person's name and it will directly contact them. You can also add to "follow" people that your interested in. Please read my recommendation about the roost to further help your girls feel more comfortable during their time of rest.
Please keep us posted.
Yes, I saw the comment about the roost and will modify it. Sorry, with so many posts AND fussing over my girl, I didn't respond. I appreciate your help!!

Yes, I saw the comment about the roost and will modify it. Sorry, with so many posts AND fussing over my girl, I didn't respond. I appreciate your help!!
It can be "Stressful". When our fluffy Butts feel blue, it stresses us out. Once, I posted a picture of poop for one thing, then found out they had worm eggs! Of course, I freaked out and felt so badly that I failed my girls. But, this is all part of keeping chickens.
The BEST part of this great forum is, we have so many "Experts" as I call them and their willingness to help is unbelievable.
I love this BYC. I found Cyber friends.
I know, I've learned so much. Who would have thought about the 2x4 in the coop! I am learning about things to look for in pictures. Now, you will too!!!
Taadah!!!

Update for tonight: She has been very good about drinking water on her own and I had success with coconut oil when I mixed it with her feed (I turned it to a mash first by mixing with water). She has enough of an appetite it get some down without forcing it. She has gotten lots of cuddle time on the couch with belly rubbing. Here is her first substantial poop (at 8:00 pm) it absolutely stinks! 🤮😂 Of course she delivered it right on my lap. 🤣 I pulled it apart a bit. There was a thick greenish membrane around a ton of grass. Do you think that means we are getting it worked out? Also, her crop is feeling much softer this afternoon. I will definitely keep this up as long as it takes, but what should I watch for to know when it's safe to put her back outside? @Wyorp Rock

Attachments

• 20201118_200721.jpg
    20201118_200721.jpg
    387.9 KB · Views: 5
Last edited:
Update for tonight: She has been very good about drinking water on her own and I had success with coconut oil when I mixed it with her feed (I turned it to a mash first by mixing with water). She has enough of an appetite it get some down without forcing it. She has gotten lots of cuddle time on the couch with belly rubbing. Here is her first substantial poop (at 8:00 pm) it absolutely stinks! 🤮😂 Of course she delivered it right on my lap. 🤣 I pulled it apart a bit. There was a thick greenish membrane around a ton of grass. Do you think that means we are getting it worked out? Also, her crop is feeling much softer this afternoon. I will definitely keep this up as long as it takes, but what should I watch for to know when it's safe to put her back outside? @Wyorp Rock
Im so glad you are working out her crop issues. Your such a good Mama Hen.
You made great progress. Shes feels so much more comfortable she gifted you that stench stuck inside.
Look Mama!!! I POOPED TODAY!!!

Im so glad you are working out her crop issues. Your such a good Mama Hen.
You made great progress. Shes feels so much more comfortable she gifted you that stench stuck inside.
Look Mama!!! I POOPED TODAY!!!
That's the thanks I get. No good deed goes unpunished. LOL!

Sounds like you are making progress.
I would work on giving her coconut oil 2 times a day. I like to give it directly as refrigerated chunks - mine will eat like candy.
In the photo I do see some grass and I read your description. In the photo I have an arrow pointing at a section - was that grass or possibly a roundworm?

Personally, I like to leave my birds with the flock unless I really feel they need to be separated or they are getting picked on. It's up to each of us to may the decision of separation, leaving with the flock, etc. You are there to evaluate her and how the flock is treating her.
1605758266827.png

That's the thanks I get. No good deed goes unpunished. LOL!
Your funny! But, it's all worth it esp because she's feeling a tad better.
Your BFoot can take at least 4 weeks to heal depending on the staging of the depth. Keep up the good work!! From what I've learned on BYC, the
Most Important Thing:
Before she retires on her roost for the night.
1. The wound core and the pus junk must be completely removed.
2. The base and margins of the wound must be irrigated/flushed with syringes filled with a Betadine or Chlorihexdine solution.
3. Pat dry
4. You can use a bunion cushion or lambswool to provide cushion on her sore.
5. Apply a Liberal amount of any Triple Antibiotic Oint into the base of the wound.
6. Use a Q tip to help you clean the base/bottom of the wound including the edges.
6. Once you feel you have irrigated/cleaned the base of the wound, NO infection can remain.
7. Cover you girls foot.
8. Use your imagination for a shoe, wrap aka: a chickens boot.
9. Repeat.

Last edited:
I would work on giving her coconut oil 2 times a day. I like to give it directly as refrigerated chunks - mine will eat like candy.
In the photo I do see some grass and I read your description. In the photo I have an arrow pointing at a section - was that grass or possibly a roundworm?

Personally, I like to leave my birds with the flock unless I really feel they need to be separated or they are getting picked on. It's up to each of us to may the decision of separation, leaving with the flock, etc. You are there to evaluate her and how the flock is treating her.
View attachment 2416598
I was suspicious, too... So I pulled that out and is was a thick, fibrous blade of grass with roots. I am hoping that was the reason for the blockage. The grass in their run is short, but she must have gotten that one pulled out. I tried to give her straight coconut oil and she would have nothing to do with it. That is why I mixed it with food. I will keep working on her! Thanks for your help.

Your funny! But, it's all worth it esp because she's feeling a tad better.
Your BFoot can take at least 4 weeks to heal depending on the staging of the depth. Keep up the good work!! From what I've learned on BYC, the
Most Important Thing:
Before she retires on her roost for the night.
1. The wound core and the pus junk must be completely removed.
2. The base and margins of the wound must be irrigated/flushed with syringes filled with a Betadine or Chlorihexdine solution.
3. Pat dry
4. You can use a bunion cushion or lambswool to provide cushion on her sore.
5. Apply a Liberal amount of any Triple Antibiotic Oint into the base of the wound.
6. Use a Q tip to help you clean the base/bottom of the wound including the edges.
6. Once you feel you have irrigated/cleaned the base of the wound, NO infection can remain.
7. Cover you girls foot.
8. Use your imagination for a shoe, wrap aka: a chickens boot.
9. Repeat.
I am continuing to clean and redress her foot daily. 😁 It is dressed with gauze and cohesive bandage tape. I have found (when dressing chickens' feet, camouflage print is a God send!) Neither the patient or other hens seem to pay any attention to it. I've used other colors and they all want to pick at it. 🤣

View attachment 2416598
Im thinking its a worm. I think I see another under the big one and theirs one in the blue area.
I am continuing to clean and redress her foot daily. 😁 It is dressed with gauze and cohesive bandage tape. I have found (when dressing chickens' feet, camouflage print is a God send!) Neither the patient or other hens seem to pay any attention to it. I've used other colors and they all want to pick at it. 🤣
Esp Red!!! Lol

Back
Top Bottom