Any ideas on what this is?

Keen

In the Brooder
7 Years
Sep 4, 2012
Australia
Hi everyone!

I'm not sure if this belongs here or in the diseases section, I have no clue what I'm looking at here!

Went out to collect the eggs this morning, business as usual. 1 normal egg & 1 broken soft shell (we have a girl with consistent shell gland issues, otherwise healthy just cant lay a good egg). Then close to the broken egg was this, its about 2cm long 1cm wide. On the outside it looks like something that's been fried. On the inside its some kind of blood/mucus/solid goop.

Has anyone seen anything like this before / know what it could be?

We have no rooster, but some scrub turkey visitors pester the girls now and then - is it possible this is a fertilised egg gone horribly wrong?

Thanks!

Nope. Not a fertilized egg gone wrong. Looks like a glitch in the system. Of of the tissue of her reproductive tract sloughed off and her body tried to turn it into an egg. If it is a one time event it should work itself out. If she consistently does that you might have a problem.

Thanks for the response! It was so unusual I got a bit panic-y about it, you know, because it's always the worst possible thing in your head!

I will keep an eye on it and see if it happens again, thank you!

Back
Top Bottom