Any ideas on what this weird poop means?

kenzee07

In the Brooder
Sep 19, 2020
I have 4 true blue pullets that I have separate from the rest of my flock. They are a little over three months old. I have heard one of them making a “sneezing” noise. There have also been some strange poops in their coop. My husband is worried that it could be coccidiosis, but they don’t have any of the other symptoms. Do you guys have any ideas?

Attachments

• F7664930-1680-494F-9DF2-F41E821FA1A3.jpeg
    F7664930-1680-494F-9DF2-F41E821FA1A3.jpeg
    177.3 KB · Views: 11
If your pullets are producing bloody poops, odds are they have Coccidosisis. If you live in the US, it would be best to get amprolium (Corid), and dose them with that. Dose for Powder Corid 1.5 teaspoons per gallon for five days, then 1/3 teaspoon for 7-14 days. Liquid dose 2 teaspoons per gallon for five days, then 1/2 teaspoon for 7-14 days.

https://www.backyardchickens.com/threads/updated-corid-and-amprol-amprolium-dosing.818879/

Corid is thiamine (B1), so avoid giving the birds any vitamins that contain thiamine as you would be subsequently be working against Corid effectiveness. The Corid treated water should be the only water available. If there are any birds that look particularly sick, you may give them a few drops by mouth to give them a jump start.

The occasional sneeze you're hearing could be due to an environmental issue, or respiratory disease. Try to ensure the coop they're in is free of fecal matter accumulation, mold-free, and has plenty of ventilation. If your feed is on the dusty side, I would switch that out for pellets. Hopefully, you'll see improvement.

Back
Top Bottom