Any ideas?

leah_c

Songster
9 Years
May 13, 2010
Wisconsin
My daughter has 7 week old Rouens. Was wondering if anyone could tell if they were male or female. One does have a lighter beak than the other.

What noise does it make? At 7 weeks that is the best way to tell. If it sounds like a loud quack, it's female, if it's raspy or a quiet whisper sound, it's male.

Listen for the quack. My Olive looks exactly like my Olivia but after listening to them both Olive became an Oliver. They look alike as teenagers but will change when they get adult feathers. Found that out the hard way
hmm.png
Oliver has a raspy sick sound and Olivia has a LOUD quack

Just an educated guess, but I'm betting the front bird is a duck and the back bird is a drake. Bill coloration seems pretty consistent for those sexes. Don't bet the ranch on this.
lol.png

The males don't get their nuptual plumage until late summer/early autumn. Even adults are now in their eclipse plumage.

I heard one tonight. She was a quacking! Sure hoping that they are both females. Not sure if I'm ready for baby ducks.
hu.gif

They are going to look like that at 7 weeks, male plumage comes weeks and weeks later. Those saying they should have green heads, they are too young for green heads.

Back
Top Bottom