Any info on Color, breed, Sex helpful

Toastyone

Songster
8 Years
Mar 13, 2011
Reaford, NC
I know it's very early to try to figure any of this out. Would like any information you might be able to think of about these little guys. I had an impulse buy today at the auction. They're supposed to be 4week old Orpington (splash) chicks. I know now that they aren't splash and 2 of them are all white. The two all white ones I think are completely different breed/hybrid than the other six because they have very a different body type (shorter, less leggy, fluffier plumage)

There are three different color patters going on with the non white ones. 1st is only on the top of their legs, wings and a little on thier head the coloring is also very light. The next has a golden laced look to it but again not on the body only wings, legs, tail & head. The third looks kind of silvery and has heavy coloring on wings and tail

Okay so I can't figure out how to post pictures on here so am I allowed to link this to my webpage for people to view the pics? I'd really like to figure out what color they are if possible what kind of chicken
sad.png

The first white one with all the "smut" in the plumage looks like a Delaware chick--I have had plenty of Dels here. Here is a 4 week old Delaware pullet chick--the color clears out as they mature but they start out with the smut, the boys more than the girls.

DSCN0845.jpg

Alrighty a Delaware, now what are those used for and will it be white when it grows up then? hmmm I think I have to go look up a chicken >_> AND we're keeping our fingers crossed for them all to be pullets so that we don't have to eat them!

So I looked up the Delaware and it says they're great layers and have wonderful dispositions, well that's exactly what we were looking for! The chicks already have a great temperment. From the moment I took them out of the box they wanted to be held and touched. One even crawled up my arm and was sitting on my shoulder.

Delawares, especially the breeder stock over hatchery, are fabulous layers, super friendly and personable. The males and females have barred hackles and the males have barred tails with hens having tail black (black feathers edged in white). How much color they have will vary. Delawares were almost extinct and are trying to make a comeback now.

My rooster, Isaac:

DSCN0546.jpg

Ike with hens:

DCP_3741.jpg

Well I think that's pretty awesome! I had some bantam cochins before and they'd sit on my hand and sing to me it was the best
smile.png
The chickens we have now only want anything to do with me when I have snacks though and don't let me pet them. They were raised the same way I did my cochins but just aren't as friendly, they were even flighty as chicks. I'm hoping the personality of all these new ones stick! I do enjoy them liking being petted.

Okay if this helps at all ... I swear they've doubled their size in the last few days and have a TON more feathers. The 4 that had the black'ish color on their wings are almost all white

Back
Top Bottom