1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Any insight is appreciated!

Discussion in 'Hatch-A-Longs' started by HReese, Feb 14, 2016.

1. HReese

HReese New Egg

Feb 14, 2016
    Memphis, TN
    Hi everyone, my Serama had a clutch of nine. Two of the nine hatched one week ago. When I removed the remaining eggs to candle/dispose of, I noticed one egg was missing. I had two chicks and six eggs. I looked all over for it with no luck. I visit the coop multiple times everyday to feed and clean. Today (7 days later) I found a new chick dead. It was limp, no smell and as big as the other two chicks. I know of the various reasons a chick can die but my question is how could I have never seen this chick before today? The other two are active and eating. The mother is a pro and is wonderful with babies. Any insight is appreciated. Thanks for reading.

2. granny hatchet

granny hatchet Tastes like chicken Premium Member

Sep 26, 2013
    madison Indiana
    Hi, sometimes they are hard to see ! they are so tiny but a guess since you sound like you have been looking for a while is : when they hatch, they are wet and some are sticky, I have has a few get stuck to the underside of mamas wing. . sorry you lost it but 2 is good . congrats on them .

[​IMG]

Last edited: Feb 18, 2016
  3. ForrestGump

ForrestGump Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 19, 2016
    Seattle
    The chick could have been hiding up under the mom's wing and you never saw it. Also, they can die from a variety of reasons. Usually it can be a deformity that caused it not to thrive. Sometimes they can get killed by other things like rats/predators, other chickens, weather, etc.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by