Any know the color genetics of the Redcap?

Redcap Farm

Derbyshire Redcap Fowl
8 Years
Feb 11, 2011
Lawrenceburg,TN
I went to the Chicken Calculator website and noticed the Redcap is not in the chart. Can anyone please fill in the color genes below in what the Redcap breed would have?

Thanks!
big_smile.png

E Extension of black

Co Columbia

Db Darkbrown

Pg Pattern gene

Ml Melanotic

Cha Charcoal

Mh Mahogany

Di Dilute

Ig Inhibitor of Gold

Cb Champagneblond

S Silver

B Barring

Choc Chocolate

I Dom. White

Bl Blue

Mo Mottling

C Rec. White

Lav Lavender

Last edited:
There are a LOT of colors that aren't in the "examples" chart.
wink.png

From the looks of it, but with no actual knowledge, I'm guessing they're partridge based ( e^b/e^b) The next guess, but with even less assurance, is that they have melanizers ( Ml/Ml ) and beyond that I'm really not sure. . . They strike my curiosity in that a properly colored female should basically be "spangled" like a very poorly laced hatchery bird, except evenly throughout the body like a Hamburg, while males are colored just as a Partridge would be. Yet, partridges have the lacing genes, while adding melanizers would make them double laced. Removing the laced gene. . . I don't know what you'd get, really, but it may just be that. Adding columbian to (possibly?) even out the females' color, like with normally laced birds, would wreck the male's color.

brown eb/eb or birchen ER/ER, gold s+/s+ or s+/_w, dark brown, melanotic and pattern are linked Db-Ml-Pg/Db-Ml-Pg, rose comb R/R or R/r with rough surface He+/He+, white egg shell o+/o+, white skin W+/W+, dermal melanin id+/id+ or id+/_w

Red caps have a modified spangle in the shape of a half moon- the spangle is modified- how? I do not know- no research on the bird (that I have found at this time), could be a different restrictor or a modified dark brown.

Tim

Last edited:
They are
eWh Wheaten, gold s+/s+ or s+/_w, mahogany,melanotic and pattern gene , rose comb R/R or R/r with rough surface He+/He+, white egg shell o+/o+, white skin W+/W+, dermal melanin id+/id+ or id+/_w
David

Back
Top Bottom