Any new laws take effect tomorrow in your state?

Reply to Cassie: Yes, and I for one feel the the whole registered sex offender thing has gone completely out of control and beyond reason. There are certain acts in certain states that are also listed as offenses between consenting adults, and if caught doing them, those people can be registered as sex offenders. Also, you can't lump all offenses in with the likes of people like John Wayne Gacy or Jeffery Dahmer, yet sex offender laws treat them all the same. So if someone gets caught with someone who they don't know is underage (and many girls pretend to be older to fool older guys) they have to register as a sex offender and now they can't use a library? Yeah, THAT'S really going to lead to people getting resources they need to be useful to society. Once again, our bureaucracy has run wild and we're creating a way of people becoming hardened criminals where they weren't before.

Last edited:
I am not sure this accomplishes anything.  First of all you need to teach your child how to protect themselves.  You cannot be with them all the time. And secondly, people are so focused on children being molested by strangers, they forget or do not know that most of the time children are not molested by registered sex offenders, but by family members and family friends.

It actually can be VERY helpful. Most offenders work by "grooming" their victims..
They meet them often in "safe" places...
They will go to these places daily and see these same kids and work to get their trust..
"Oh, what book are are reading little girl? I have a daughter at home sick that likes to read...what would you suggest I get for her?"
So this guy doesn't seem scary right? She helps him find a book..makes her feel helpful..
Few days later...
"Oh hello! Glad to see you again!! My daughter LOVED that book! Do you have any other suggestions?.."
Etc..etc..then he starts asking smart questions...seeing if she'll be one that he'll be able to lure away from the library...or to a quiet corner of the library..
"Oh..can you come to my house and meet my little girl? Shes SO lonely stuck at home (with whatever disease he made up to make the kid feel sad for the fake "daughter".. Can you come and read her a story?
Or.."shes waiting in my car to meet you, because you made her so happy by picking out all those nice books for her. She wants to tell you thank you!..(shes too sick to come inside ..)"

Trust me...it happens more than you can ever ever imagine...

Oregon is enacting a law where college employees that suspect abuse of a minor have to report it. Guess we can chalk that one up to Jerry Sandusky. Other than that nothing new besides a couple minor things about bullying and teaching teens about domestic violence in schools.
Boy, they'll do anything to bring the government into our homes more and get away from teaching people to read, write and do math. Everyone will know about drugs, sex offenders, bullying, and turning their parents in and the literacy rate will continue to fall.

Not a law but I was reading up on the now privately owned parking meters in Chicago.The city leased them for 75 or 99 years.Starting yesterday the hourly rate went from 25 cents an hour to $6.50,$4,or $2 an hour. Almost half of the ownership is by some company in Abu Daubi. The city was so stupid to leash it out. I think they already spent all the money too! What were they thinking!?!!?!?

No new laws in my area....that I know of.
Believe me, everyone in Chicago is asking the same question! Chicago will drive all of its business out, not any better now with "The Rahm-Father" than it was with Daley...I avoid the city at all costs but a couple of years ago I had occasion to be in the city on a bus tour on a Saturday night and one of our stops was the world-famous Billy Goat Tavern. It was 8pm and they were closed up except for waiting for the bus because they knew we were coming! 8PM on a Saturday night in a city that is said to run 24 hours a day!!! I was dumbfounded...there were no people on the streets, no one walking out of restaurants or taverns, nothing. You would think the city has been evacuated for the lack of people and cars parked on the street. I have lived around Chicago my whole life, that's more than four decades, and never seen the like of it. I am sure it has only gotten worse since then.

I didn't know that employers do that? That is an invasion of privacy. That's like giving them your bank account number.
smack.gif
Well, I read that that is supposed to be a provision of Obamacare...that you are going to have to give the government all of your bank account numbers. I guess we will find out now that it's too late.

Yeah, gosh, not trying to derail the thread but just.. food for thought. I worked with a really nice guy named Jesse. He had the same girlfriend from when he was 14 and she was 13. A couple weeks after his 18th birthday he got busted cause they put spy software on the computer and caught they had relations before she turned 18. He was a responsible kid, not late and didn't mess around. He is now labeled a sex offender. A life time title. But he was a nice kid, the two times he showed up to a work party he drank soda and turned down alcohol. I just can't believe a guy like him has to warn all his neighbors every time he moves. The girl eventually turned 18, had the order dropped and they are now married. Anyways I'm going off on a tangent. Sometimes the law is too black and white for common sense.

I am not sure this accomplishes anything.  First of all you need to teach your child how to protect themselves.  You cannot be with them all the time. And secondly, people are so focused on children being molested by strangers, they forget or do not know that most of the time children are not molested by registered sex offenders, but by family members and family friends.

It actually can be VERY helpful. Most offenders work by "grooming" their victims..
They meet them often in "safe" places...
They will go to these places daily and see these same kids and work to get their trust..
"Oh, what book are are reading little girl? I have a daughter at home sick that likes to read...what would you suggest I get for her?"
So this guy doesn't seem scary right? She helps him find a book..makes her feel helpful..
Few days later...
"Oh hello! Glad to see you again!! My daughter LOVED that book! Do you have any other suggestions?.."
Etc..etc..then he starts asking smart questions...seeing if she'll be one that he'll be able to lure away from the library...or to a quiet corner of the library..
"Oh..can you come to my house and meet my little girl? Shes SO lonely stuck at home (with whatever disease he made up to make the kid feel sad for the fake "daughter".. Can you come and read her a story?
Or.."shes waiting in my car to meet you, because you made her so happy by picking out all those nice books for her. She wants to tell you thank you!..(shes too sick to come inside ..)"

Trust me...it happens more than you can ever ever imagine...

yep.

I didn't know that employers do that? That is an invasion of privacy. That's like giving them your bank account number. :smack

Well, I read that that is supposed to be a provision of Obamacare...that you are going to have to give the government all of your bank account numbers. I guess we will find out now that it's too late.

WHAT???????????????????? SERIOUSLY !!!!!!!!!! NO WAY HUH?

Back
Top Bottom