Any New Zealanders?

I soooooo agree, they are the cutest!! You should be so proud. Congratulations.
thumbsup.gif

Just stumbled upon this page! Hello kiwis, I grew up in chch but recently made the move to bluff.... but it means i can have heaps of chooks! my to bantams just hatched 8 adorable chicks, I have 3 awesome ex-battery hens (i encourage everyone to buy some from the layer farms the become great hens when they recover) and OEG Roo and a bunch of barnyard mutts! Im glad lots kiwis are getting into this site its sooo helpful!

Congrats on those little CUTIES black chicks are so darling :)

It's a great site to meet like minded friends. Welcome. It sounds like you've got quite a bunch of chooks down there. My four girls are still too young to be laying yet but I'm spending as much time as I can, in between work and chores, to acquaint myself with them. They've got real personalities and seem to look forward to all my visits every day. I don't know much about raising chickens so I'm learning as I go along. Hopefully, they'll point me in the right direction if I veer off course at all.

Chickens are geat! The Shavers/Hylines are the best one of mine didn't even stop laying in winter and they seem like they are hardy birds! when i first moved to bluff I was a city girl and had never even thought of chocks until my old neighbor ask if a wanted a roo and hen (she was gonna eat them!) so I snapped them up and now I wouldn't even want a dog chooks are so great! Welcome to you too this is the best place to learn

Just stumbled upon this page! Hello kiwis, I grew up in chch but recently made the move to bluff.... but it means i can have heaps of chooks! my to bantams just hatched 8 adorable chicks, I have 3 awesome ex-battery hens (i encourage everyone to buy some from the layer farms the become great hens when they recover) and OEG Roo and a bunch of barnyard mutts! Im glad lots kiwis are getting into this site its sooo helpful!

Congrats on those little CUTIES black chicks are so darling :)

Hello there
frow.gif

Glad you found this thread
big_smile.png
Sound like you've got yourself a big flock too. I've not yet had any ex-battery hens in my flock, but today I 'rescued' 3 Pekin bantams from death, the lady who owned them was trimming her flock numbers down, and they were just too cute to leave behind.
My little babies are doing well too, more and more feathers popping out all over them
yesss.gif

It's a great site to meet like minded friends. Welcome. It sounds like you've got quite a bunch of chooks down there. My four girls are still too young to be laying yet but I'm spending as much time as I can, in between work and chores, to acquaint myself with them. They've got real personalities and seem to look forward to all my visits every day. I don't know much about raising chickens so I'm learning as I go along. Hopefully, they'll point me in the right direction if I veer off course at all.

Hi there
frow.gif

I spend lots of time with my flock too, I love watching them all scratch, peck and forage for food. Their personalities are great
big_smile.png
By spending time with them you also learn to spot when 1 of them is looking a little off colour - I commented to my partner that our light sussex wasn't her 'usual' self, so I kept an eye on her all day. It wasn't anything serious because the next day she 'went' broody (rather odd for a heavy breed). But nevertheless you become aware of changes to your flock.

I'm only just learning about breeding and raising chicks, so far it's been a good experience
woot.gif

I myself now have 39 chooks, mind you 6 are two week old chicks, I have about 12 hens that are laying and the others are cockerels (7) and pullets (14). Gotta love chooks
D.gif

Chickens are geat! The Shavers/Hylines are the best one of mine didn't even stop laying in winter and they seem like they are hardy birds! when i first moved to bluff I was a city girl and had never even thought of chocks until my old neighbor ask if a wanted a roo and hen (she was gonna eat them!) so I snapped them up and now I wouldn't even want a dog chooks are so great! Welcome to you too this is the best place to learn

Totally agree, chickens are great!
thumbsup.gif

I've only got 2 red shavers but they are one of the better layers I have in my flock.
Lucky they had you to rescue them from the pot
wink.png
I don't think I could eat 1 of my girls or boys - they just become your feathered children
D.gif
(lol, it doesn't help I end up naming them all as well)
yippiechickie.gif

How could you not think of naming them??? Lol. I've had so many "children" throughout my lifetime and every one of them was named - from a cockatiel named Joey to a goldfish named Reddy, a rabbit name Friskey to a cat name Morpheus. And that doesn't even scratch the surface.....
tongue.png
Every one of them has given me hours and hours of pleasure. I've bred rabbits but nothing else. Unfortunately I can't have a rooster in my back yard, so I'll have to wait until I get my lifestyle block in a few years time for that pleasure. Meanwhile where are the photos of the little ones???

Hello there
frow.gif

Glad you found this thread
big_smile.png
Sound like you've got yourself a big flock too. I've not yet had any ex-battery hens in my flock, but today I 'rescued' 3 Pekin bantams from death, the lady who owned them was trimming her flock numbers down, and they were just too cute to leave behind.
My little babies are doing well too, more and more feathers popping out all over them
yesss.gif
Hi Orpy
its funny i think that if you have the room you always end up with a BIG flock.... it just happens but having lots different birds is great fun! Awsome on the pekins I've been looking at getting a few they have the best fluffy bottoms next to the orphingtons Im glad your babies are doing well mine are growing fast but i think one of the mothers has decided to give her chicks to the other hen who only had one (she's a much better mother!)

Hehe I try to name all except the extra roos, how do yours get along so well, I just love the roo's and want to keep one or two from the next batch of chicks. sadly I have 4 big fellas that rant very nice that are going to be dinner, the have had an awesome free range life happy bossy fellas.

Heres a couple of my new babies only two have names yet little Ama Cnd chip :p

Day old picks when we first discovered them in the back yard :)

Back
Top Bottom