Any Oddities collectors?? I'm here! :)

This isn't the whole collection.. just a few pics of some of the skulls .. I think I have around 54 or so at the moment...
I may be adding in a full dog skeleton.. just haven't decided if I'm going to have room for it

Some are still in boxes and the newest ones are still in transit

dog and cat

dog (I believe it's a pit bull)

and a few finishing up maceration

Once the ones that are macerating are done they will go to a degreasing bath.. then on to whitening.. and finally sealed

it just occurred to me that i also collect human hair. that is probably my most organised collection at present! not much antique...just vintage and modern!
i also collect quotes.... and faerie books.... and crystals/gems/concretions.... my antique books might be too odd for BYC. ;p

i bet if everyone posted their "i only have a few skulls" , it would turn into a massive group collection :) is there a photo forum only? then you all could have a proper page, without people like me glomming all over it (i will of course ooo and ahhh publicly/comments, though!).... & i've noticed that there are a lot of lovely artists on this site too, it would give them something fun to draw!! (not that i don't love looking at barred rock hens!!!)

it just occurred to me that i also collect human hair. that is probably my most organised collection at present! not much antique...just vintage and modern!
i also collect quotes.... and faerie books.... and crystals/gems/concretions.... my antique books might be too odd for BYC. ;p

i bet if everyone posted their "i only have a few skulls" , it would turn into a massive group collection :) is there a photo forum only? then you all could have a proper page, without people like me glomming all over it (i will of course ooo and ahhh publicly/comments, though!).... & i've noticed that there are a lot of lovely artists on this site too, it would give them something fun to draw!! (not that i don't love looking at barred rock hens!!!)

There are a lot more skull collectors than you would think. Just not as many will admit to it!

Some of the reasons I collect them is that I was fascinated by them as a kid (no idea how many times my mother would throw away a skull or bone that I had found out in the woods or fields). I also collect them because I can see a natural beauty in them.. and I like to use them for anatomy study.. which helps in sketching and sculpture.

It's funny... people think scrimshaw and carved ivory or bone is beautiful.. but will get weirded out if they stop and think where it came from.. or that you have several dog or cat skulls on a shelf!
lau.gif

lol.png
well my stupid camera has no space and my canon broke
hmm.png
couldn't get any worse! I'm trying to get pics !
Ah take your time... lol.. by the time you get it working again I MIGHT have the shelf in place and the deer skulls hanging up. (so i can take proper pics of mine).

Besides.. i have several skeletons to articulate... it will probably take me a good year to get all those little bones figured out and assembled!

Last edited:
Oh yes! I have a huge collection :>

This is my shelf with most of my lovely dead things. Click the picture for full size.

Here are all my current larger pelts!

From left to right on the top (as always, click for full sizes).

Claudio ♂ Virginia Opossum, received from Blackbackedjackal.deviantart.com (2013). 28"

Nuka ♂ Platinum/Whitemark Ranched Fox, from a trade with Zhon.deviantart.com (2012). 55"

Vitani ♀ Arctic Marble Ranched Fox, Wallhanger Pelt. From fur market (year unknown). 48"

Codie ♂ White-nosed Coatimundi, Mountable Pelt. From eBay (2013). 50"

Cinder ♀ Yukon Wolf, Mountable Pelt, to be turned into a headdress. From HideandFur (2013). 77"

Sorrel ♀ Alaskan Lynx, Mountable Pelt, to be mounted by me. From private deal with eBay seller (2013). 47"

Bracken ♂ Idaho Coyote, Mountable Pelt, to be mounted by me. From HideandFur (2012). 52"

Russet ♂ Red Coyote, Wallhanger Pelt, 55 inches. From eBay (2013).

Kovu ♂ Alaskan Cross Fox, Posable Mount. Pelt from eBay (2011), mounted by MidnightWolfDesigns (2012). 45"

Knell, White-Throated Kingfisher, Skin from eBay (2013)

From left to right:
Walnut the Woodland Jumping Mouse, Beechnut the Vole, and Pinenut the White Footed Mouse
(all killed by my cats when they were outdoor cats)

These are my faces! From left to right:
Pronghorn face, received in a trade with Zhon.deviantart.com
Coyote face, purchased at some store almost 10 years ago
Red Fox face, purchased directly from a man who hunts for population control
Finn Raccoon face, received in a trade with Shamans-Yoik.deviantart.com

And my tails! Also from left to right:
►5 inch bobcat, purchased in colorado 7-10 years ago
still holding up very well as a keychain, but would probably rip off if tugged.
►9 inch red fox, purchased in colorado 7-10 years ago
was a keychain, but the leather started ripping. i fear wearing it now.
►14 inch tanuki, purchased from WolfForce58205.deviantart.com by Fox-N-Wolf.deviantart.com for me
is a keychain, seems perfectly fine to wear and i shall be doing so!
►19 inch silver fox tail, gifted to me by the amazing Fox-N-Wolf.deviantart.com
will be made into a keychain if the leather holds up- seems like it will!

I mounted a pheasant (Dan) and a baby chicken (Machie) :)

And I have loads of animals in my freezer, lol!

Florence, a chicken of my friend's that died (same as the baby chicken).

My mom's friend's chicken, unnamed.

And more :p

I macerate my own skulls too :)

Back
Top Bottom