Any of these Roo's and what type is this? Lots of pics

Discussion in 'What Breed Or Gender is This?' started by Bugdude, Oct 1, 2008.

1. Bugdude

Bugdude Out Of The Brooder

Sep 9, 2008
    So they should be about 22-24 weeks old, no eggs yet. Are any of these Roo's? and what is the yellow'ish ones breed?? (Lots of pics) Also I live in CA, times are changing so im not sure if ill get eggs this season. These pictures are a couple days old.

Little history: These are my first birds. I have made numerous mistakes from switching them to a laying pellet at 16 weeks to letting them have full range to their coop, I was feeding them scratch for a while as a treat before I read it was a wintertime only thing. They have not recieved scratch in about a month or 2 now. I give them vegetable scraps and they love their black oil sunflower seeds.. I have a little mini pin they sometiems chase around, probably because he steals their plates of yogurt. [​IMG]. im not sure if they are stressed, it would appear to me they have quite the life.. They freerange from sunrise to sunset 3 days a week and the other 4 they are allowed out into their run 8-5 and from about 5-8pm they freerange.. Do they look healthy? Hopefully not any Roos? Any ideas/help is apprecialted.. Thanks again [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

This is the loud one, my best canadite for a Roo.
    [​IMG]

Well Hello There!!
    [​IMG]

What breed is this?
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

What are they doing?? the other day they were in this pile and the yellow one was rolling over the other ones.. it was wierd.

[​IMG]

2. gritsar

gritsar Cows, Chooks & Impys - OH MY!

Nov 9, 2007
    SW Arkansas
    In your last pic they are dust bathing/sunbathing. A chicken's favorite activity next to eating. They seem to go into a trance when they are really really enjoying it.

Last edited: Oct 1, 2008
  3. Chickndaddy

Chickndaddy Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 26, 2007
    East Texas
    All are girls. And yes they are dustbathing...lol

4. HorseFeathers

HorseFeathers Frazzled

Apr 2, 2008
    Southern Maine
    All are girls
    The mystery breed looks like a welsummer
    They are dustbatheing

5. Tuffoldhen

Tuffoldhen Flock Mistress

Jan 30, 2007
    WV
    All pullets, dustbathing and the mystery one looks Welsummer.

6. GopherBoyFarms

GopherBoyFarms Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 18, 2008
    Vancouver WA
    looks like you have lots of pretty girlys there!

the one that says "what breed is this"
    I dont know what it is but looks a lot like my Sniper and Viper. (mine lay huge almost yellowish eggs) And one of them is broody right now at 6.5 month old.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

7. chicken~n~horsecrazy

chicken~n~horsecrazy New Egg

Sep 25, 2008
    NW Indiana
    They all look like girls to me.

8. joyful-homemaker

joyful-homemaker Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 11, 2007
    central ohio
    The hen you question looks like my welsumer hens. They lay a dark "chocolate" brown egg. The first time mine were sun bathing I got so upset, I thought something was wrong with them! [​IMG]

9. Wynette

Wynette Moderator Staff Member

Sep 25, 2007
    Michigan
    GopherBoy - looks like your Viper's an EE (green legs) - the unidentified one has yellow legs; looks like a Welsummer to me! [​IMG]

Welsummers lay reddish brown (terra cotta, they are described as) eggs:

[​IMG]

10. GopherBoyFarms

GopherBoyFarms Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 18, 2008
    Vancouver WA
    thats good to know, thanks! we have been told that they are all kinds of different chickens. So I guess we have 5 EE's do all EE's have green legs?

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by