any one else with flea problems already?

lovemychicks9

Songster
11 Years
Apr 29, 2008
South Carolina
I live in Arkansas and it is sooo hot and humid already this year. Is there anyone else out there battleing fleas already? OMG they are awful already this year and NOTHING is working on them. So my husband and I are trying an experiment now. I know that using DE in the chicken run and coop = no flys , fleas, ticks and bugs period. I have 12 dogs of all shapes and sizes ----- so instead of giving them a flea bath almost every day which we have boon doing and spraying or using spot ons we are going to use DE on the front yard and in part of the back where they tread the most and see if that helps to stop the fleas all over them. Has anyone else done this yet? I know it works great on the chicks and pen and at this point I am desperate. We actually found a place that sells food grade DE close to us at a most reasonable price minus the shipping and handeling so if it works we will let you know! Does anyone know if the rain effects it ? I know that I read somewhere that it does not , just pushes it into the ground. Does anyone out there have a good flea and tick remedy that is not to expensive, if so please share as sharing is good. Thanks Trudy
jumpy.gif
jumpy.gif

They are here as well. I stopped using Frontline a few months ago and my dog stopped having seizures. I'm afraid to switch to Advantage on him in case it does the same thing. So, I'm not sure what we are going to do. I use DE on the chickens, but I don't want to put it on my dogs, it just feels yucky on their coat. Anyone have any other sure fire flea treatments?

I used this on one of the dogs that has severe flea allergies and was also allergic to the chemicals in the spot ons.

Springtime
Bug Off Garlic™ -
100% Pure Air-Dried Garlic Granules

Quote:
Advantage and Advantix use a different chemical than Frontline. My dogs all had a seriously dangerous reaction to a batch of Frontline that I (stupidly) bought on the Internet. It was probably not Fiprinol (sp?) which is what Frontline is supposed to be; very likely it was some sort of bootleg/fraudulent chemical instead. Vet said they had all the earmarks of Pyrethrin poisoning. She also recommended that I change them over to Advantage. So far so good, although I did change them to Advantix last month when we found a tick on one of them.

Susan

Quote:
Yeah, the ticks are awful this year here too. I've pulled them off the dogs, cats, and horses. That's why I ordered some guinea hatching eggs. I hope they hatch so I can free-range them. They said 9 out of 10 ticks here have lyme disease:( I was not gonna get guineas until I heard that.

I switch back and forth between frontline and advantix. It seems like if you use the same thing for an extended period of time the fleas develop an immunity to it. I have had good results for two years now doing this.

I work for a vet and the best thing out there for fleas and ticks are advantix and frontline. But make sure that you purchase them from a vets office otherwise the company doesn't guarantee the product. We tell people to treat year round because fleas and ticks can live inside sheds, barns, houses, ect. Lyme Disease is becoming more and more of a problem not only in animals but in people, also and the human doctors don't even think about testing for it until you are very sick! So better to treat the animals to keep yourself healthy.
thumbsup.gif

Back
Top Bottom