Any one use a aquarium for brooder?

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by yardbird tx, Apr 8, 2009.

1. yardbird tx

yardbird tx Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 31, 2007
    Austin, Texas
    I have a large aquarium and thinking of using it for a brooder. Im going to make a wire top for it to put the heat lamp on. Did I hear somewhere that aquariums don't make good brooders??

2. Bluedog420

Bluedog420 Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 24, 2008
    Cartersville, Ky
    I use em all the time [​IMG]

3. yardbird tx

yardbird tx Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 31, 2007
    Austin, Texas
    Thanks. I thought I herd some where they where not good to use for some reason.

4. lil'chickies

lil'chickies Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 2, 2009
    West Texas
    I used a 55 gallon one for 2 turkey poults. I have moved them and am now made it into an incubator. Lots of fun to be able to watch them though. They outgrow it fast.

5. Maidservant

Maidservant Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 20, 2008
    Norwich, Norfolk, UK
    The only problem that I've had with aquariums as brooders is that the chicks (or ducklings, or any other little ones) outgrow them too quickly. Even my 55 gallon tank gets outgrown quickly!

I hope that it warms back up soon, I'll be constructing a chick cage out in the yard to put the babies in during the day. Oh boy, the thoughts of having over 100 chicks out in a pen for the day...[​IMG]

Emily in NC

6. Sock Puppet

Sock Puppet Grumpy Hen

Mar 3, 2009
    Mesa, Arizona
    Im using one right now [​IMG] Its perfect for a week maybe two.

And they are sooo fun to watch. We call it "chick tv"

7. peepsnbunnies

peepsnbunnies Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 31, 2007
    Central Florida
    Aquariums are all I have ever used. I have several different sizes and it depends on what is hatching and how many as to which one I use. I really like using them because I like to see them all the time. The aquarium sits on a table right next to my computer desk so I can be on BYC and see the babies at the same time! Heehee.

Lisa [​IMG]

8. Akane

Akane Overrun With Chickens

Jun 15, 2008
    A couple years ago I happened to stop by the reptile store down the road just as they were closing. I loaded everything that would fit of their largest tanks into the back of my truck. I've used aquariums for every batch of chicks. I've had bantams in them until 8weeks old when there were just a couple. My standards I had to move by 4weeks but I just used an old homemade 3x6' guinea pig cage for another 4weeks until they were ready to go in the coop.

9. GardeNerd

GardeNerd Chillin' With My Peeps

I used an aquarium. I loved it, so did the kids. Great to watch the chicks! The chicks outgrew it at about 3 weeks and then I moved them to a wire extra large dog crate. They were able to roost and hop around better in the crate.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by