Any one want to join me in waiting for eggs, posting and comparing notes?

Hey Guys, just found this thread and wanted to join in on the fun. I have a flock of 11 that are 20 weeks old tomorrow. They consist if 1 Light Sussex rooster, 4 ISA Browns, 4 RIR and 2 Americana. I have been seeing a lot of comb and waddle growth over the last 2 weeks and now have been observing a definite color change to red. Pepper(my rooster) has been attempting to mate constantly with no success from the girls until yesterday I saw them being naughty. So I think I am getting pretty close.

Hey Guys, just found this thread and wanted to join in on the fun. I have a flock of 11 that are 20 weeks old tomorrow. They consist if 1 Light Sussex rooster, 4 ISA Browns, 4 RIR and 2 Americana. I have been seeing a lot of comb and waddle growth over the last 2 weeks and now have been observing a definite color change to red. Pepper(my rooster) has been attempting to mate constantly with no success from the girls until yesterday I saw them being naughty. So I think I am getting pretty close.
Hi Redangler!!

Welcome to the thread, so happy to have another member in the group. I thought I was the only one with little chicks in the summer! lol..

Don't know much about the ISA browns, and I don't have any Americuanas, but I have two RIR. Of my 9 girls, the two of them have some of the largest and reddest combs, and like you, I have seen mating attempts but only two have begrudgingly allowed him to climb aboard. i am sure we both must be getting there! YEAH!

What breed is your Roo? Any pictures for us?

Welcome again!

MB

Heres some pics

This is Pepper. He is a Light Sussex.

These are our 2 Americanas
Owlie

Lemon(My daughters favorite)

Some of the Rhode Islands

And a group shot from the rear.(Happens to be Pepper's favorite picture)lol.

Here is their crazy coop! Still not finished yet but it is further along than this picture. I guess I need to update

I am glad to join you guys. My chicks were born July 31 so the will be 20 weeks old tomorrow. I also said when we got them that we would get our first egg between the 17th and the 24th so we will see if my prediction comes true(I hope it does.) Till then still waiting.......

Here is their crazy coop! Still not finished yet but it is further along than this picture. I guess I need to update

I am glad to join you guys. My chicks were born July 31 so the will be 20 weeks old tomorrow. I also said when we got them that we would get our first egg between the 17th and the 24th so we will see if my prediction comes true(I hope it does.) Till then still waiting.......
Oh my goodness, what an absolutely adorable coop! That is amazing, love the off set windows! I have a Columbian Wyandotte Roo,, so Pepper and he are similar in apperance!
Here is Duke, who was a misdaignosed roo from Meyer. It's turned out to be a good thing.. I think...lol. I am hoping he is a nice Roo to the girls. So far he stays a healthy distance from me.

He's actually a lot bigger now, this is from a month or so ago.

Love Lemon, she is so pretty. I would love to get some Americaunas someday.

Does your flock free range about at all?

MB

Last edited:
No, I have built a 30 x 30 run for them. We have to many hawks to let them free range. Their free range time is limited to when we are home outside with them. I will post some more pics of their current setup later.

Hey guys!
I am also anticipating eggs from my youngest chickens. My girls are actually a good bit older than yours. I have a flock that is 36 weeks old, and a flock that is 31 weeks old...a mix of Ameraucanas, Jersey Giants, Rhode Island Reds, and BLRW. Of all the girls I hatched this year, only one Jersey Giant has started laying.

This isn't surprising to me. I don't know if it's because I live in a colder climate, or maybe because here in thew mountains the daylight is shorter, but whenever I hatch in April or afterwards, my birds don't usually lay their first egg until sometime around the new year. Last year I hatched in July, and some of those birds waited until February. You just never can tell. There are so many factors. One thing I do know...it's much more likely to happen after the solstice. Next year I'm planning to do my hatching in January and February, so maybe I'll get new layers in the fall? We'll see...

Anyway, I'm excited the solstice is this weekend because my older girls aren't laying at all right now. I'm only getting about 1 egg a day! How am I supposed to make Christmas cookies??

Hey guys!
I am also anticipating eggs from my youngest chickens. My girls are actually a good bit older than yours. I have a flock that is 36 weeks old, and a flock that is 31 weeks old...a mix of Ameraucanas, Jersey Giants, Rhode Island Reds, and BLRW. Of all the girls I hatched this year, only one Jersey Giant has started laying.

This isn't surprising to me. I don't know if it's because I live in a colder climate, or maybe because here in thew mountains the daylight is shorter, but whenever I hatch in April or afterwards, my birds don't usually lay their first egg until sometime around the new year. Last year I hatched in July, and some of those birds waited until February. You just never can tell. There are so many factors. One thing I do know...it's much more likely to happen after the solstice. Next year I'm planning to do my hatching in January and February, so maybe I'll get new layers in the fall? We'll see...

Anyway, I'm excited the solstice is this weekend because my older girls aren't laying at all right now. I'm only getting about 1 egg a day! How am I supposed to make Christmas cookies??
Hello BroosterSpringsteen!

Cute name..lol. Thank you for your information, it's rather helpful! I was thinking the same thing about the solstice. May I ask, do you have a roo? I'm assuming you do as you mentioned hatching out chicks. My roo has just started last week with mating the girls, they are all 22 weeks, a July 23rd hatch. The girls aren't really squating for him, he just sort of seems to grab one, and pushes them down holding their necks. I am hoping as he matures he becomes a little more gentlemanly! How long after the mating have you noticed eggs? I too wonder if my cold climate might push things back a bit I tried to pick somewhat early maturing breeds, the production reds I have are supposed to be the earliest, but my two RIR have the biggest combs and waddles. One of my Black Australorps as well.

Well, I am so happy you have joined us, and thank you for your help. I love when more experienced people can join in. I am only 22 weeks along!

MB

Oh my... Redangler I love the off set window in your coop. I want to do that with one of my sheds.
Thanks Melabella, I'm glad you like the pic. The new chicks are from a feed store that has them early. Most of the other feed stores are waiting till after the new year. The gold star is about 5 weeks old and the 2 little Murans are about 2 weeks old. I will look for more chicks early this year. My 2 Americauna are from a July hatch from Murray McMurray. I think I will look for a BO and maybe a Brahma. My closes feed store will have the Blue Andalusian and I will get those again. They are a very pretty birds, and the white eggs will add a nice splash to the different color eggs I will be getting. And of course some RR.
You have freezing rain? We have had cold weather set in for us here in Southern California but not that cold. It gets into the low 40's at night. We had a few showers and are expecting a little more. My girls seem happy to come inside for the night. But just 2 girls and not a flock to stay warm with it is for the best. Also, I have not yet gotten ride of that dog. I have trapped it twice and it got out both times. I will get it.
Hi, Brooster. Luv the name too. I was hoping that with a warmer climate that my girls would lay early. But maybe not. I will try chicks from earlier... I am glad that I will have a wide verity of ages that I can compare. Right now I have 2 Americauna at about 22 weeks as well as the chicks I mentioned. I am glad you are here as well. It will be great to hear when you get eggs as well. It will be interesting to see how things will compare from all of us. I think we have all the different zones from this country and beyond to compare with. How fun.

Thanks for the warm welcome!

Yes, I do have multiple roos. In my experience, the fact that your roo is "showing interest"..haha...in the girls is a very good sign that they might be ready to lay. How long it takes from this point can vary. Perhaps they are ready and you might see those eggs as soon as the solstice passes...or tomorrow morning! I'm no expert by any means, especially in comparison to a lot of folks on here. Another sign that I notice when my girls are ready is that their butts suddenly get really fluffy. I know that sounds silly, but it's just something I've noticed. It's easier to spot when you have other mature hens already around.

I wouldn't expect your roo to become any more gentlemanly. Chicken sex isn't very polite or graceful in my opinion, but it's just a part of being chickens. I do have one roo who has sort of a charming little mating dance when he's trying to get some action though. He's not particularly successful, but he does have the moves.

oooo... Fluffy butts? So I guess today we all take pics and compare our chicken's butts?
lau.gif
We can be silly all we want. People already think I am anyway for keeping chickens... except for other chicken people. But really (no pun intended) I did notice that my girls looked a bit fluffier in that area. I got to weigh them a few days ago. They can gain about 2 more lbs. to what the breed standard is.

Back
Top Bottom