Any one want to join me in waiting for eggs, posting and comparing notes?

MB you could always but some food coloring on the feathers on their bums. Just make sure your know who has what color.

BTW I got my replacement Pampered Chef loaf pans today. Hubby made some yummy Applesauce bread and used the applesauce we made and canned a few months ago. I will be making sure these loaf pans have a very safe place to hide. lol

Hi guys. Hope you enjoyed your Easter weekend. Work has me humping so I am not on as often. Cant wait for it to slow down again. Here is my incubated chick. Its 11 days old. I ordered cuckoo maran eggs. I am assuming this is a lemon cuckoo marans chick. Any idea if its a hen or rooster??

That chick is so cute, makes me sad to watch him try and walk. I guess I would worry about others picking on it and hard to tell if there is any pain. That's a hard decision and I feel bad that you have to make it.

I had to make that hard decision this morning to cull 1 out of my 2 chicks that hatched out of my incubator. The dark cuckoo marans chick had bad legs. I taped them to try fix and it wouldn't get better, otherwise than that it was eating fine and drinking fine but had a really really hard time getting around. I felt instead of letting it suffer anymore... it was time
sad.png

My decision was based on if this chick was born without the presence of me (just it and its mommy hen, it would have died already). I didn't like seeing it suffer.

I had to make that hard decision this morning to cull 1 out of my 2 chicks that hatched out of my incubator. The dark cuckoo marans chick had bad legs. I taped them to try fix and it wouldn't get better, otherwise than that it was eating fine and drinking fine but had a really really hard time getting around. I felt instead of letting it suffer anymore... it was time
sad.png

My decision was based on if this chick was born without the presence of me (just it and its mommy hen, it would have died already). I didn't like seeing it suffer.
Awwww, that's sad but I guess we have to be realistic sometimes. Beautiful marans though, so many pretty breeds. Love seeing all of the pics. Mine are still fighting. I gave up. I just put blue kote on anything bad and bought some rooster booster yesterday and the 2 victims got smothered in it - heads and combs. I did notice my bully pecked one of the victims and got a taste of that stuff and she quickly tried to wipe her beak. LOL Don't know if it's enough or not but they are ruining my excitement and enjoyment of being outside with them. :( Brats!! Hope work slows down a little for you.

i got 5 eggs today!!!
does anybody know what makes yolks yellow besides free range!!!
smile.png
I have heard that the first eggs can be paler to start with, and will go a darker yellow/orange as their body gears up. Also, there's some variation in breed. My Silver campine still lays long, white eggs with yellow yolks, though she is fed the same as the Asutralorp, RIR & Barnevelder which all have brown shells and orange yolks.

Cracked corn seems the most common feed said to deepen the yolk colour, and I feed that to my girls with a little wheat and sultanas (yes, pampered!) as their evening scratch.

Then some fruit and veg will improve colour - carrots, pumpkin, squash, chillies and marigold flowers are said to darken them.

Just make sure they have a good, balanced diet and give them some time, I am certain they will give you delicious eggs!

Congratulations on getting 5. It's fantastic isn't it?!?
wee.gif

All the best
Katrina

I think this is the thread where we were talking about crushing up egg shells and feeding them back to them, after drying. Well, I've done that and probably did it a bit too much because there's a lot of dust. Maybe not do that next time. Well, my question is, how much to feed them? I have 8 laying LF pullets and someone said to put it in their feed. So how much do I put in their feed each day? I don't want to overdo it.

I think this is the thread where we were talking about crushing up egg shells and feeding them back to them, after drying. Well, I've done that and probably did it a bit too much because there's a lot of dust. Maybe not do that next time. Well, my question is, how much to feed them? I have 8 laying LF pullets and someone said to put it in their feed. So how much do I put in their feed each day? I don't want to overdo it.
Don't put it in their feed, too much calcium is bad for their kidneys. Just offer it free choice. What I did was bought an 8 ft piece of PVC pipe 2 inch inside diameter (I think is what it is) and two 90 degree elbows, two end caps and a roll of ducting hanger tape stuff. I cut one piece 1 foot long and the other 20 inches the 1 foot piece I used a Dremel tool and cut a rectangular hole in it and rounded and sanded the edges. Then just put them together in the L shape they work fine. I have them in the coop one has grit and one has oyster and egg shells.

Went out and took a pic please excuse their mess.

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom