Any one want to join me in waiting for eggs, posting and comparing notes?

I was so excited today. My 14 yr old grandson was at the coop with me and I always allow him to check the egg door to peak in and look for eggs. Today and yesterday were a little out of the norm because my main RIR was in the 1st box but ran out when that door cracked. Usually if she's really up there laying, she will finish business and then leave. Today, I had noticed that 2 boxes had been rearranged...they have all been using one. When he cracked the door today the RIR ran out of "her" box but the Brahma who was in the second box stayed put. I was watching from the side door. Suddenly I realized I was looking at her backend and she was trying to lay an egg. I called my gs to the side door and had him watch..we got to see the vent start to open and gradually open...and then...there it came!!! Now this gs has 4 different kinds of chickens at home..so he's used to cleaning out the coops/runs ect and feeding and watering as well as gathering eggs. I told him to go on around there and get the egg and he hesitated!!!!! I really think seeing it REALLY laid surprised him and he didn't want to put his hands on it!! LOLOL I think 3 of my 4 are laying each day but my little golden laced wyndotte hasn't gotten around to it yet. And I can't get her to get cozy with my either..Have tried everything. Hope I didn't bore you all but couldn't help but tell today's adventure. My ladies are on such a schedule, that I have seen 2 eggs laid..just not from this vantage point. !!!!!

goodpost.gif

jtbass... I loved the story. I don't have kids yet... Hopefully I still have time;) But I love it when my friends and cousins bring their kids over. Seeing how they react to the animals and collecting eggs. They mostly all seem to love it. I think it is great that they get to experience this. My friend's little girl so wanted to see an egg laid... and wow did we wait. Unfortunately we could not wait long enough... we had to leave for a festival. But when we got back she did get to collect the eggs. So cute.
I have a Americana/EE that is hitting 22 weeks. She is not showing any signs of interest in the nest boxes or in squatting for either of the 2 roos wee have. I am egg-cited to see what color her eggs will be. My other 2 lay blue eggs. A different shade of Blue? A darker blue? Green...

We got our first egg today from the girls we raised from chicks!!!! This is a 19 week old leghorn pullet egg. So cute and tiny!

We got our first egg today from the girls we raised from chicks!!!! This is a 19 week old leghorn pullet egg. So cute and tiny!
yippiechickie.gif
Isn't it exciting? !! Mine are still pretty new. Just when I bragged that they seemed to be on a schecule....they made a liar out of me. I still am waiting for the 4th one to lay but got a couple of softshells today outside the boxes...??...and only one egg so far today. Two of them skipped one day but yesterday I got 2 double yolks. Really would rather they didn't do that because they are so much bigger that I worry about my ladies getting prolapsed vents.. They are still so young in their laying
hide.gif

Come on guys,,, no one else in here with 16 week olds or about that waiting for eggs wanting to talk to an ol chick about their flocks.

We can wait and learn together!

Pretty plllleeeeeesssseeeee?
hide.gif

Don't leave me hangin...
I have 14chicks that are 23 weeks old and not one laying yet.I still think I am doing something wrong.

Do
I have  14chicks that are 23 weeks old and not one laying yet.I still think I am doing something wrong.
Don't feel bad, mine are 24 weeks and notta, nothing, zilch! It's frustrating, disappointing, heartbreaking, sad..... Should I say more? So I can honestly say "I feel your pain"!

Do
Don't feel bad, mine are 24 weeks and notta, nothing, zilch! It's frustrating, disappointing, heartbreaking, sad..... Should I say more? So I can honestly say "I feel your pain"!
Could it be the heat? My two that were already laying when I bought them seem to be quite slow right now.

I am getting 1 pullet egg a day right now. I wish the other 10 would catch on LOL

Back
Top Bottom