Any one want to join me in waiting for eggs, posting and comparing notes?

If I have 9 Roos and 1 hen, and 1 too is crowing ( all the same age), why aren't the others crowing???? And no, didn't intend on having so many boys!!! Just my luck!!!

we have 18 weeks. Only a few of them are laying I have 7 hens and only 2 of them are laying. a 3rd laid twice last week but not yet this week..so still waiting for the other 5 to join in.. But here are the eggs..

our 2 brown eggs today in the nest the made. They wont use the nesting boxes.

pur second egg

Our very first egg

So, I have people absolutely ga ga for my eggs, so thinking maybe I'd like to add a few more next year and maybe start a little business on the side. However, I am so freaked out about introducing new ones to my current 3 given the problems I had with my 2 barred rocks this spring, I am reluctant. Am I the only one who worries about new intros???? LOL

I was wondering about that too, Kdwag! I don't know how to introduce the ew comers to my current flock. we have 7 hens and once they start laying normal we are going to sell their eggs. We do free ranging so they dont get the corn crap lik the eggs at the store. Nice orange center yolf, not yellow.

Well, my oldest girls are 18 weeks tomorrow and that puts my second set at 16/17 weeks. Combs are really growing and looking fantastically red, but no eggs as of yet. I check about 3 times a day right now LOL

I was wondering about that too, Kdwag! I don't know how to introduce the ew comers to my current flock. we have 7 hens and once they start laying normal we are going to sell their eggs. We do free ranging so they dont get the corn crap lik the eggs at the store. Nice orange center yolf, not yellow.
Mine free range and get layer crumble. They go through phases with the crumble, some days they eat a lot, others not so much. I guess it just depends on what goodies they find and how much time they get in the yard, some days they are out all day and some days, just mornings and evenings depending on the weather which has been so unpredictable. I think we're having fall now.

Mine free range and get layer crumble. They go through phases with the crumble, some days they eat a lot, others not so much. I guess it just depends on what goodies they find and how much time they get in the yard, some days they are out all day and some days, just mornings and evenings depending on the weather which has been so unpredictable. I think we're having fall now.
Ours have free range from 11am currently until they get the idea to lay in the coop Not wherever they please on the 5scres..it's like an egg hunt. and go in when it gets dark on their own usually 9-9:30. Once they get the idea to lay in the coop they will get out at around 7AM

Ours have free range from 11am currently until they get the idea to lay in the coop Not wherever they please on the 5scres..it's like an egg hunt. and go in when it gets dark on their own usually 9-9:30. Once they get the idea to lay in the coop they will get out at around 7AM

That would be quite the egg hunt! It would take all day!
lol.png

I was wondering how everyone is doing in the heat since we're smack in the middle of summer now? Has it had any impact on egg-laying? My EE's are still pretty consistent but one will sometimes skip a day here and there if it's really hot. I feel bad for them if they don't get it out of the way early in the morning, because I'm sure it gets hot in the laying boxes when it's 90 degrees outside. I've also had some good results with the mister I hooked up to their run, at first they weren't sure about it but now they'll just stand under the mist and chill out, I guess it feels good to them. They also LOVE it when I make a mud puddle in their run with the hose, they stand in it and cool their feet.

Back
Top Bottom