Any one want to join me in waiting for eggs, posting and comparing notes?

My seven pullets are 19 wks. old. One of my chicks turned out to be a roo (Ameraucana) and I might rehome him. Anyway, my two R. I. Reds started laying at 17 wks. I wonder if having the roo got them going so young. Then one of the Ameraucanas, a wheaten beauty named Marilyn Monroe, started laying at 18 wks. I am waiting for the other Ameraucana, two Black Austrolorps, and a French Maran that will lay chocolate brown eggs. I also have two hens that are a year old and are very good layers. I'm new at this also - got the two hens last November (they started laying in January) and got the pullets and the surprise roo on Valentine's Day. They were a day old. I'm really having fun with them and loving the wonderful eggs! I have no idea who will start laying next. They all have red combs so I know it will be any day now!

Oh that sounds wonderful! Do your girls free range at all? My original flock was ordered from a hatchery, I got 10 girls, or so I thought. I was quite opposed to having a rooter but quickly learned his worth as a protector and an alarm sounder. He also kept order in the flock. I did end up rehoming him, as he turned quite human aggressive, but quickly replaced him with an Ameraucana roo that has been wonderful the past year. Send us some pictures of those pretty eggs, would love to see them.

Thanks for joining our little thread! Welcome to BYC!

MB

Have an EE who survived our invasion. She is 20 weeks and has begun the "squat"...... got the nest set up and open for her........just waiting !!
hu.gif

I got my chicks from our local farm co-op store and they were all supposed to be girls, too. They are all named after entertainers from the "old days" so Lana Turner turned out to be Lonny the Rooster! I'm just sorry that I don't have three blue egg layers - just two now. Mine are not free range - they have a large coop and a large yard to be busy in. I have a VERY large dog that I'm pretty sure would love to eat my chickens. I'm not taking any chances. One problem w/the roo is that one of my older hens has a bald place on her back and I know it is from the amorous rooster that I rehomed. But now this young rooster is causing the same problem. There are seven pullets and two hens but her feathers are suffering.

Hi Hillcrest.... I had the same issue. I had 2 Roos one from the feed-store and the other from a hatchery.... I bought some of those little saddle/ aprons for my girls. I think it did help some but I took them off after the Roos were gone. I read some were on here that it could take up to 3 months for their feathers to come back. The patterns look simple enough ... and I do sew.... I just didn't have the time. I found them at a very good price on eBay...
It makes me sad sometimes when I look at my chicks... They are a mix from my girls and the 2 roos... They are so cute but how many are Roos? Mellabella... what happened with the chicks that you hatched? How old are they now and what was your ratio? I am hoping I do end up with at lest one olive-egger;)

Hello everyone from Port Angeles, Wa ! Hope all is well with everyone, I haven't been on here in a while. Our girls were hitting the 3 year mark and we've retired then to a relatives farm to free roam the range. Now going to Fall City Saturday to get a new batch.

We love getting lots of eggs as we share with friends :) He (Baxter Barn) has quite a few to choose from. Leaning towards some salmon faverolles, olive eggers, wellsummer, easter egger, black copper marans, ameraucana, and for the heck of it a blue silkie. LOL Looking for some color action this time.

1 of each and the silkie is a straight run, but they are so cute! What the heck. SO this is what I have come up with. What do you all think as in color variety and production

Have a great day!

Debbie

It is so good to see you again. My two oldest girls will just be hitting the 2 year mark and we have chicks from them and some of the other girls... from our accidental roosters;)
I am all for a colorful flock in both birds and eggs. Wonderful to have such a wide verity to choose from. I think I would have ended up with way to many;) Chicken math;) I really like the black copper marans and they are on my list for next time... as are the Wellsummers. I wish you all the best ... I can't wait to see your new girls.... (hint... pics
fl.gif
) ....

black maran

blue olive egger and black olive egger

2 salmon faverolles and easter egger (1st time I saw one with egyptian eye liner?)

here she is up close

I listed them by the names he sold me as. Any comments on if you think different greatly appreciated as I'm wondering LOL. All are suppossed to be born 5/23 this year. I know the salmon are banty but the 2 olive eggers are huge!

Hi Citygirl1 ... Yup.... and you will look at charts and see what the earliest and the latest that your girls will start laying.... and they will just stare back at you saying,"What?.... " ;) So sorry for the frustration.... we all know it is tough. Are they giving you any signs that they are ready? The roo being interested in mating with them is a big one... The Roos always know...

Back
Top Bottom