Any one want to join me in waiting for eggs, posting and comparing notes?

The first three days, the eggs I got were all in the same nest box. I have heard this is quite common. I have 6, and they all seem interested in just that one. I have found one of my RIR sleeping in box #1. There is now poo in it.. where there never was before. I think the poster that mentioned working on the door meant to open it from behind, to see who was laying. Could be wrong,, but that is what I thought she meant. I've seen some nest boxes more closed than others... maybe they might like the privacy My flock was a July 23rd hatch, and one just started. You probably have a few more weeks... Good Luck! What breeds do you have leslie?

MB
I always have a problem with my non-laying girls sleeping in the nesting boxes, despite having a perfectly lovely roost. And yes, I frequently find 5 or 6 chickens in one box. It is like an Escher drawing (good analogy lesliedow). I guess I could cover the boxes in the evening, and then uncover them in the morning, but I'd have to get up REALLY early to uncover them before my other girls want to lay. The problem always seems to solve itself once all the girls reach laying age. Until then, I just continually clean out the boxes so the eggs stay clean. Does anyone have a better solution? I've always wondered.

Apparently I have I silent layer! I have been listening and checking about every fifteen minutes and someone slipped on in between visits, laid and left without a peep. I asked them all and still no one is confessing. Oh well maybe tomorrow. I did weigh the eggs and they range between 48.5 and 50.7 grams so they still remain in the small classification.
My girl doesn't make much noise either. Maybe when they get older?

Oh these chickens.

DH let me sleep in the morning and was the one to open the coop door. He said Duke charged him and tried to have a go at him. I'm hoping this doesn't turn into a serious issue, I think it all ready may be! Perhaps I will do what Brooster did, but not sure I will be able to catch the Son of a Gun.

will keep you posted..

Also welcome to Emma Holmes! Let's get a picture of your silkie bantams How old are they? So happy to have you join us in the waiting thread!

MB

I always have a problem with my non-laying girls sleeping in the nesting boxes, despite having a perfectly lovely roost. And yes, I frequently find 5 or 6 chickens in one box. It is like an Escher drawing (good analogy lesliedow). I guess I could cover the boxes in the evening, and then uncover them in the morning, but I'd have to get up REALLY early to uncover them before my other girls want to lay. The problem always seems to solve itself once all the girls reach laying age. Until then, I just continually clean out the boxes so the eggs stay clean. Does anyone have a better solution? I've always wondered.
I read someone on here put a soccer ball in each nest, but that leaves us with the early rising problem again. I didn't like seeing how messy the first box was. I was so proud of them for the 3 weeks they were open, they stayed so clean. Now we have someone laying, and they're poopin in there. Maybe it's laying envy...lol..

I read someone on here put a soccer ball in each nest, but that leaves us with the early rising problem again. I didn't like seeing how messy the first box was. I was so proud of them for the 3 weeks they were open, they stayed so clean. Now we have someone laying, and they're poopin in there. Maybe it's laying envy...lol..
The soccer ball is a good idea. It would be an easy way to uncover the box. Truthfully, it's extremely rare for me to sleep past sunrise, so I don't know why I'm being so lazy about it. It's been a while since I had this ratio of laying hens to young hens, but if I remember right, they stopped sleeping in the boxes once about half of the girls were laying. I think once the other girls move to the roost to sleep, the rest will follow to stay warm. I wonder if they would stop sleeping in it if I filled it with dummy eggs or golf balls?

The soccer ball is a good idea. It would be an easy way to uncover the box. Truthfully, it's extremely rare for me to sleep past sunrise, so I don't know why I'm being so lazy about it. It's been a while since I had this ratio of laying hens to young hens, but if I remember right, they stopped sleeping in the boxes once about half of the girls were laying. I think once the other girls move to the roost to sleep, the rest will follow to stay warm. I wonder if they would stop sleeping in it if I filled it with dummy eggs or golf balls?
I have two dummy eggs in each nest. Doesn't stop my pooper poopy girls

Hi I'm new and waiting for my little silkie bantams to start laying.. Nothing yet but they do seem to be acting different. Looking forward to hearing your stories.

I have two silkie hens, too, and one silkie roo. I'm have at least 3 of my standard hens laying now, but nothing from the silkies. My rooster had no interest whatsoever in his fellow silkies. It's pretty amusing watching him woo the hens twice his size, though. He must be having some success because some of the eggs I've gotten so far are fertilized.

Can't wait for those itty bitty silkie eggs! :)

Red Ranger 50g is a Med egg, I have a sizing chart that states anything over 49.0g is med.

I have found most my eggs are getting a bit bigger, the EEs are supposed to lay med eggs in general for their breed. I still get some 30g eggs (yes 30g) and have gotten some well over the Jumbo size of 71g, but in the past 6 weeks since my girls started laying I am seeing more 50-53g eggs than the 35g that I was seeing.

I can't believe that it has been 6 weeks since they started laying. I am consistently getting 9 eggs a day with the occasional 10 or 11 eggs. I sometimes wonder if all my girls are laying, I thought I would see around 12 or 13 eggs consistently if all were laying. They all have red combs, and I think they all squat but some run for the hills when I enter the coop.

I don't seem to have problems with my girls sleeping in the nest boxes, but they had a perch almost as soon as they popped out of the brooder. I also did not make the nesting platform until they were 16 weeks old and it was only the last month that I added my buckets to the platform. I swear my coop is always in some state of construction.
How many girls do you have? I can't imagine having that many eggs a day, how exciting. I have had one egg a day since New Years Eve. First day's egg was a different shape and color, the next four pretty identical. Thought I might have two girls laying but I've only had that first egg different. Maybe it was just different because it was the first? I caught the girl laying yesterday, one of my production reds,, not surprising. I have a RIR that is in and out of the coop all day... perhaps she is next.

Do you have any Roo's Duckit Tam? I had only one girl squat for me,, now I know what that is.. she looked like a morning dove... so cute. My Roo didn't like it to much,, he was all upset. Then I saw him mount her after I left the run. What a macho dummy...lol.\\

Back
Top Bottom