Any one want to join me in waiting for eggs, posting and comparing notes?

Brooster, way to go!!! Finally! Oh my heck... I adore that picture. Love it! I have to get me one of those darn cameras! Such a pretty egg,, I am so very happy for you! Love all the "evers"

Way to go Wynona!

Yay! Congrats Brooster!!! The cameras are so much fun. I think I would of rather had a live cam, all my friends want to watch the girls too LOL

Ha, Celia,, that is funny, I don't think I could have a Kim Kardashian, Barbara Walters, or Justin Beiber in my coop!! Yes, switch to positive names next time! lol..

Your post reminded me that I had another paper shell egg yesterday, it was broke under the roosting bars. I have given them every single shell back to them they have produced, and they have unlimited oyster shell in the run. It's by third egg like that. I hope there isn't a hen prone to it. It looked like those prepared foods you see in cafaterias that they spray shellacked so you can see what the food looks like. It was a frozen thing, broke open with the yolk intact. Glad no one ate it... don't want to start that!

MB
hmmmm, i don't know that the eggshell on mine was any thinner than the others but THANKFULLY mine too was frozen...but that is curious about yours, mine don't have much oyster shell available, because i don't know where to put it (in the spring, i was thinking of a path made of it). i've had bumblefoot on the brain for some reason, and NOW i'm going to be wondering about hen hysterectomy! (i guess otherwise, poorly prone poultry end up in the pot! i mean, that could be a concerning & icky condition, no? ...but, personally i don't think i can eat THESE chickens!)

i was wondering if mine had kicked it out of the box, but it seems much more likely she laid in below... i wonder why.

lol, barbara WAS on the table, but nancy grace is a much more suitable chicken name we thought. and i have to say, it really was a great result-- i used to convulse after 3 minutes of rachel maddow's voice, but now it doesn't even phase me! RAND however needs a new name, or she'll be pot bound!!!

wee.gif
celebrate.gif
wee.gif

Congrats Brooster! I am so happy for you!
woot.gif

At first we were going to use names from my mom's sisters. She was one of 18 kids.... but her remaining sisters were not to happy with that. So we were staring to use some of her cousin's names.... then we lost most of the girls to that dog. Then she remembered that my grandmother loved old stories. That is why were starting to use old names for the remaining girls and for the new ones. Ruby is an old name and a gem stone... So is Pearl... We are having fun.
I started also with hatchery chicks. It is a good way to start. But at that time they ran out of the breed that I wanted (I wanted some Murans). My local feed store had the Blue Andalusians and I fell in love with them. When you get some birds from breeders they want a lot more money... Right now I am having fun with trying the different breeds of chickens that are less expensive and readily available. This gives me the experience I need... Later when I am ready... I think I will look into heritage birds from breeders. I know that there is a local chicken club ... I may even check that out. But later this summer or next year I am thinking of broilers. They are breed for quick growth.... They can be butchered in as few as 8 to 10 weeks.
I should go out and get some new pics. My cuckoo Murans are getting big. They are 3 weeks younger then the gold star (3 mts old) but just about as big..... And there are the new girls to show off.

Haha! Chicken names are so funny! We have quite the variety in our coop, mostly because all the family members take turns naming the chicks.
-I usually go for old lady names, or pop and country music stars from the 80s (Kenny Rogers, John Oates, Wynona, Irlene Mandrell, Billy Ocean). I also name the chickens before I know their genders and then it sticks. I don't know why. I think it's just funny to say, "Billy Ocean laid the BIGGEST egg today!"
-My boyfriend picks his music idols, or names from his favorite songs. He's a musician. (Bernadette, Brooster Springsteen, Otis Redding)
-My teenage son picks names based on whatever TV show he's watching or books he's reading. We had a whole group named after characters from Frasier, Harry Potter, and the new chicks are mostly named after robots from Futurama.
-My daughter picks stereotypical little girl names (Fluffy, Buttercup, Polka Dot)

And sometimes we let friends name a chicken, which is why we have some named General Tso, Dinosaur, and Walrus.

We're all over the place.
it IS hilarious to hear yourself say again and again, "wait, paul ryan the man, or paulryan the chicken??" (or, in your case, something like, 'what is billy ocean up to?') and the times that it is not necessary to clarify, it always reminds me of/sounds like MAD LIBS! and it was ridiculous the # of views i had on my blogger blog when the primaries were going on!

we went with personality to an extent, and it's funny how some stuck. we have just last week started to refer to her as paulAryan (she's one of the pretty little layers!!! so we thought it only right)!

i had been tempted by patsy and loretta and such... or mayan disaster names... i also like a clutch of literary chickens, but i couldn't decide who/what.
& i like the idea of letting some others name, now i'm seeing family contests in the future...and a band of heavy metal chicks.

CAT,
i do love gem names! (&/or gemma!)and i love the story connection... the flower faeries were another series of name i'd been contemplating.

but back to the gems.... i have promised myself that this is the year i get a small concrete mixer and one of the many projects i have in mind is an old fashioned stepping stone of gemstones, so for example, mine will be
Carnelian
Epidote
Lepidolite
Iolite
Amethyst
or something to that effect ...i think my iolite is too small for it to be uniform. in any case, i thought now that i have someplace that i absolutely HAVE to go everyday, i might as well make it lovely :) and bedazzled!

I have been waiting so long that I forgot I was waiting. I had given up. I have 3 Easter Eggers hatched April 19, a pure bred Americauna hatched in May and 3 bantams also hatched in May. This week one of my hens suddenly started laying. Everyday for the last 4 days she laid small brownish pink eggs. I am stoked and now waiting impatiently for my other hens to lay. Who knew it would take SO LONG. Do you think the ee's will lay brownish eggs? I am planning to get some chicks soon and am thinking about egg colors.

CAT,
i do love gem names! (&/or gemma!)and i love the story connection... the flower faeries were another series of name i'd been contemplating.

but back to the gems.... i have promised myself that this is the year i get a small concrete mixer and one of the many projects i have in mind is an old fashioned stepping stone of gemstones, so for example, mine will be
Carnelian
Epidote
Lepidolite
Iolite
Amethyst
or something to that effect ...i think my iolite is too small for it to be uniform. in any case, i thought now that i have someplace that i absolutely HAVE to go everyday, i might as well make it lovely :) and bedazzled!
Love that! I do collect semi-precious stones... I love going to Quartzite, AZ were they have a huge gem and mineral show. A couple of years ago at a different festival we bought 2 stepping stones that were concrete with designs of flowers made out of semi-precious stones. One was set into an archway and the other is in my herb garden. REally love your idea of making more of them to go around your area. That is going to look amazing.
There are so many great ideas to dress up the area. It even made the news here about a Hen house and run that was $100,000 http://blog.hgtvgardens.com/green-envy-the-fanciest-chicken-coop-in-the-world/ .... a little much for me. I like the natural gem stone idea better myself.
I like the name Carnelian... my Gold Star is named Amber. Gives me ideas....

'carny' is a prime chicken name, if i ever heard one!!
i went to tucson show for the first time a few years ago... amazing!!
i mean, i had been to some big shows... but, holy moly!!!!! i have collections within my collections of semi-gems.. but this is the year i am determined to turn them into art!! i read about victorian names made of gems once, and it has never left my brain. i'm going to make them for my kitty cemetery too. do people keep chicken cemeteries?
well, if these ladies will work for me, i will work harder for them, sprucing up the perimeter! i would love to see your stones for inspiration :) CAT, my only concern with mine is that they are going to be freezing, as well as baking... so i'm thinking i'll just make the impressions for them and then epoxy them down.

byansmommie- you have reminded me that i have 3 small eggs i keep meaning to blow out! how long does everyone think eggs are good for? i've always used the floating method (for store or farm bought).

and oh, don't we ALL have some fine and beloved chickens (eggs or no eggs)! i am trying to find some photos of my mystery (to me)chickens, to ask you lovely people about, but it's too hard to decide! they are so photogenic!!!

It's funny we're talking about chicken names, because my family has been arguing all day over what to name this chick that hatched last night. I had a hatch going last week, and it finished up on Friday. I only had 2 eggs that didn't hatch. I candled them, float tested them, determined they were done, and put them in the compost bin. HOURS later I was in the kitchen, and I heard peeping coming from the compost bin! Oh NO! I had already put away the incubator. I grabbed the egg, put it in my Brinsea, poured in some hot water, and turned it on. I'm such an idiot!

The egg chirped and rocked for hours, but didn't pip. It chirped for more than 24 hrs, then it got quiet for a while. I thought for sure it was done, and then suddenly...a pip! 2 hours later it hatched. I couldn't believe it survived! It was a cute perfect little Black Copper Maran.

So I wanted to lovingly name the chicken Garbage. My son wanted to name it Miracle. No way am I going to have a chicken named Miracle.

We finally compromised on Oscar...like the trash can monster.

Oscar is my new favorite chicken
love.gif

(I still secretly call it Garbage)

oscar seems like the perfect name! or courtney!(love)

MB, you'll be up to 1ooo posts in no time!

speaking of mystery eggs...
here are my two laying ladies, when we bought the six we were unclear as to what they were. then we thought we knew. then we didn't. then maybe. then no.
so, here we go (rather than me babbling i will just bombard with pictures of my glamour girls) What are they?
a photo-ode to my laying ladies:

mika on the left, paulaR on the right ;)

i am also wondering if you can tell from their chick pics. and why do some chicks have no tail feathers!?

^^^ mika

paulARyan before she was RED faced ...the other pics are today

Back
Top Bottom