Any one want to join me in waiting for eggs, posting and comparing notes?

omgoodness.....look what I found.. wouldn't this make the best chicken coop, can't you just see it all fixed up with some TLC? Now, just have to find someone with a flat bed who I can hire to move it! I hope I can swing it!

3G53L13N25Nc5G85Hdd1v23a788d64590157a.jpg
OMG, loving that- that will be fun fixing up and will be an adorable coop.

I know this isnt a incubating thread but i was wondering if its ok not to see the air sack on the 2 day of incubating evan thoe i saw one when i put them in

MB, how did you find it? That building is so cool!
Craigslist, I've been on the lookout for some garden sheds I could take off someones hands, but this is just amazing... and it's just at an hour away from me. I wanted to keep it within a half hour. The cost is way affordable... $400 obo.. can't beat that, sure I'd put an EASY $100 into it,, it's just finding someone one who can move it without costing an arm and a leg. I paid $800 used for my current coop, it's one of those prefab ones you see all the time, and that was even a bargain. Wealthy woman was divorcing and used it for 2 pet chickens barely used a year. She paid $2,000 for it brand new... can you imagine? I am hoping I could find a friend to cut me a good deal on the moving. Obviously need someone with some heavy machinery to move it.. and a big flatbed. Don't even know how to go about moving that. Owner says it's very old,, he thinks easily a 100 years. I just think after fixing it up, and adding some windows, and a great coat of paint, it would have so much character and add to the look of the barnyard.

MB

Last edited:
I know this isnt a incubating thread but i was wondering if its ok not to see the air sack on the 2 day of incubating evan thoe i saw one when i put them in
Gosh, I know nothing about incubating, but perhaps Cat or Brooster can chime in about that. I know they have eggs in the bator... wait, I think someone else too.. I can't remember.

Good Luck, let us know how it goes!

MB

You would normally see it, although it would be pretty small at that point. I would leave it in to be certain. I also recommend not candling until day 7. Those embryos are really fragile before then.

WHOOP WHOOP!! Got our 1st egg today!!!
celebrate.gif

Fried it. The white was so creamy. So much flavor!! It was interesting to see how the yolk and the white stood up tall in the pan. What a difference! .
droolin.gif

Got my first egg!!! And today I got another one!! The whole flock is 20 weeks old and my one and only little white silkie hen led the way! Now I am waiting for all the big girls to follow her example...

Here is the silly story about how I even found the first egg:
Spent a couple hours outside today, letting everyone have some supervised free-ranging... decided to add another roost to the coop as all these new babies I have will need some roosting space eventually. So, I cleaned out the coop pretty good and added a roost. I scooped up all the old shavings out of the nesting boxes, etc. and THREW it all onto the ground, then KICKED it all around the run to add to the deep litter. Then I walked around to grab my hammer and there by the food dish was a little creamy white egg. It had come out with all the bedding I had thrown out and rolled right there. I have no idea what box it was in, or how long it's even been in there!! I have checked every day and never saw it! I put it in the shavings to see how I would miss it and sure enough, it completely disappeared - it was definitely camouflaged. Now I have to be a little more diligent about looking for the eggs.

Here it is next to a store-bought brown egg

Back
Top Bottom