Any one want to join me in waiting for eggs, posting and comparing notes?

I have not seen any squatting but surprise surprise, our buff orpington, who has still very small and pink wattle and comb, suddenly started to sing the egg song this afternoon! The whole gang (4 total) were just wondering together, picking on things in the yard to eat, and suddenly this one girl started a loud egg song! I had to watch hard and saw her tail shaking at the same rhythm as her song to confirm it was her, and not any of the others, does that mean she will have eggs soon, even if her face/wattle/comb are still not red or well developed?

They love each other and like to huddle together like this! Though one of the Red (RIR?), the one that has well developed comb, seems to be quite aggressive toward us people, keeps coming over to us to peck on our feet for some reason... even if you say no, or raise that foot, she would jump up to peck on it!

I have been waiting for a long time for eggs, as these girls were hatched on May 19th, so over 5 months old! Two of them have more developed and red comb/wattle, but the other two are not. I had to go to youtube to confirm what we heard is the egg song, and now I am planning to play some youtube loud egg songs in the morning to make them jealous and start laying soon!

wish me luck!

I have not seen any squatting but surprise surprise, our buff orpington, who has still very small and pink wattle and comb, suddenly started to sing the egg song this afternoon! The whole gang (4 total) were just wondering together, picking on things in the yard to eat, and suddenly this one girl started a loud egg song! I had to watch hard and saw her tail shaking at the same rhythm as her song to confirm it was her, and not any of the others, does that mean she will have eggs soon, even if her face/wattle/comb are still not red or well developed?

They love each other and like to huddle together like this! Though one of the Red (RIR?), the one that has well developed comb, seems to be quite aggressive toward us people, keeps coming over to us to peck on our feet for some reason... even if you say no, or raise that foot, she would jump up to peck on it!

I have been waiting for a long time for eggs, as these girls were hatched on May 19th, so over 5 months old! Two of them have more developed and red comb/wattle, but the other two are not. I had to go to youtube to confirm what we heard is the egg song, and now I am planning to play some youtube loud egg songs in the morning to make them jealous and start laying soon!

wish me luck!

Good Luck! You'll be surprised how having one girl laying, gets her flock mates aware, and started down the laying path! May I ask you if those two RIR are the same age? Did you have these chicks from hatch, or buy them as day olds? Where did you buy them from? Can you perhaps get a closer picture of the RIR with the more developed comb and wattles? If they are all the same age, that is quite a disparaging size difference in comb and wattles. It does happen, but the behavior you are describing sounds very much like a young cockerel starting to feel his hormones. One more thing is that RIR roosters can be known for getting quite human aggressive so keep an eye on that. If you post some close up pictures, I can perhaps get a better idea. Not all hens squat for people...especially when there is roo in the coop! If indeed you do have a cockerel there, he won't like if you try to pet them, and make them squat, so be aware of that. I hope I am wrong, but that is quite a big com and difference from the other pullet! On the other hand, at 6 months you should all ready be hearing crowing, so perhaps I am wrong.

Keep us posted!

MB

MB

We got an egg in the third nest box today, never got one in that box yet. Rosy and Elli usually lay in the first box. This egg was also laid earlier than normal. So maybe I have a third laying. If so, only five more to go!

FYI, I have a RIR rooster. He has no issues with being aggressive, we got him at 4 months old. He used to flap at me, but I stomped my foot and jumped in his direction. He is a gentleman now.

It's funny, i started free ranging them even on rainy days, mine don't seem to mind the rain. They love running all over the yard. Rocky the Roo is right beside the girls, sometimes flying up on a rock to see everyone while they fly and explore. I love watching them!

We got an egg in the third nest box today, never got one in that box yet. Rosy and Elli usually lay in the first box. This egg was also laid earlier than normal. So maybe I have a third laying. If so, only five more to go!

FYI, I have a RIR rooster. He has no issues with being aggressive, we got him at 4 months old. He used to flap at me, but I stomped my foot and jumped in his direction. He is a gentleman now.

It's funny, i started free ranging them even on rainy days, mine don't seem to mind the rain. They love running all over the yard. Rocky the Roo is right beside the girls, sometimes flying up on a rock to see everyone while they fly and explore. I love watching them!
That happened today, my white maran laid in the box next to the one where she has laid since she started. funny...

I am happy you have a nice roo, when they are respectful, they are the best to have! You are fortunate that it only took one lesson in you asserting your dominance. My first rooster couldn't be cured of his aggression, no matter what I tried... he had to go. Marcy what do you think about SEHchicks photo, does that RIR look like a cockerel to you?

My chickens LOVE the rain!

MB

Last edited:
That happened today, my white maran laid in the box next to the one where she has laid since she started. funny...

I am happy you have a nice roo, when they are respectful, they are the best to have! You are fortunate that it only took one lesson in you asserting your dominance. My first rooster couldn't be cured of his aggression, no matter what I tried... he had to go. Marcy what do you think about SEHchicks photo, does that RIR look like a cockerel to you?

My chickens LOVE the rain!

MB
MB-
It would be easier to tell if the RIR was standing up. Rocky didn't really crow until he was a few months old. I will try to find a picture of when we first got him.

He was about five months in this photo I think. Not the best picture. The one at the top was maybe around 5 1/2 months.

Thank you guys so much for all the notes! For some reason I began to feel "safe" that none of them were roos but maybe it's still early to be really sure.

We got all four chicks of ours from a country store not far from us, and were told they were all 5 days old at the time. When they were young, we always thought this chick could be a roo if we had one in the batch but their tails never turned downwards so we started to relax. I will take a better picture of this one tomorrow and post so you experts can help us to identify. These are our first chicks so we are learning a lot, and enjoying them too.

Thanks again!

Here are some pictures from this morning, they are all 5 months and 9 days old. Red is the one that likes to chase down and try to peck on our feet as her way of greeting us, she is the RIR that has brighter comb/wattle. Robbin is the other red. Heaven is the black Australorp, and Sunny is the Buff Orpington.

Any pointers are welcome! You guys are awesome to provide all these help.

Here in Nova Scotia my hubby and I got a big surprise on Sat Oct 25th.
We stopped by the chicken coop to visit the girls mid morning there was 2 beautiful eggs-one small, one large. Our first eggs. Our girls are 161/2 week old. The next day we got 1 egg and have been getting 2 eggs everyday since Really nice hard shells too.
The little devils won't leave the hay in their nesting boxes though.

My eggs for the day went up yesterday from 4 to 6 but 2 of them were on the floor of the coop under rthe roost so I guess they were layed in the night, both of them were 1st's because they had no shell so I will see what happens today, on the floor on in the box

Here are some pictures from this morning, they are all 5 months and 9 days old. Red is the one that likes to chase down and try to peck on our feet as her way of greeting us, she is the RIR that has brighter comb/wattle. Robbin is the other red. Heaven is the black Australorp, and Sunny is the Buff Orpington.

Any pointers are welcome! You guys are awesome to provide all these help.

Ok.. from these pictures, I have to say I don't see anything overly roo about this bird... maybe she is just a beefy girl, developing very quickly. I had two Black Australorps, sisters with very different comb and wattles. One had huge comb and wattles, and the other really stayed almost pullet size...even well into laying. If you could get a close up of hackle and saddle feathers that would be great. But.. for now.. I think you are safe! Now get laying ladies!!!!

MB

Back
Top Bottom