Any other reason besides eggs for a pullet to sing the egg song?

3chickchicks

Songster
9 Years
Jun 25, 2013
Utah
I've heard about roosters singing an egg song but as a warning about predators. Would hens/pullets do the same in the absence of a rooster?

One of my pullets, who just started laying, is carrying on. She was up by the coop. The other pullets were in the yard and a cat was watching them. They must have beaten the crap out of him because they didn't care about him and the cat just sat there as if wishing he could snatch one. Nobody is wounded but I wonder if the pullet who is carrying on feels the most threatened or is upset by the cat?
It's the same agitated noise she makes while trying to find a nesting site. They've gone to roost and she's still squwaking but she's roosting with the others.

I've heard about roosters singing an egg song but as a warning about predators. Would hens/pullets do the same in the absence of a rooster?

One of my pullets, who just started laying, is carrying on. She was up by the coop. The other pullets were in the yard and a cat was watching them. They must have beaten the crap out of him because they didn't care about him and the cat just sat there as if wishing he could snatch one. Nobody is wounded but I wonder if the pullet who is carrying on feels the most threatened or is upset by the cat?
It's the same agitated noise she makes while trying to find a nesting site. They've gone to roost and she's still squwaking but she's roosting with the others.
To answer your question, yes, they do. Whenever a hawk goes by, or a cat, or an opposum, they will go crazy with the "egg song". In South Carolina, it is normally the squirrels who hear or notice a predator first and they will bark/whine. The chickens will hear it and run to hide, and sing the "egg song". At least that is my experience.

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom