Any other suggestions

Easter eggers

Songster
8 Years
Jul 4, 2011
I tried putting them up on their roost at night but they just hop down.Any ideas on how to get them sleeping up on their roost because they are 20 weeks old and sleeping on the floor?

What breed?

My young pullets from this year are just starting to figure out they can roost-before they'd sit on top of my nexting boxes.

i had to take each one and put them on there took about three weeks for them to realize i didnt want them there. everyonce in awile ill find them where i dont want them but i just pick them up and put them back up. they will get it just dont give up.
thumbsup.gif

As long as they're sleeping in safe location (e.g. locked coop), then it shouldn't really matter. Supposedly, all chickens roost eventually, some just pick up the habit quicker than others.
wink.png

Mine are 20 weeks as well and still sleep in the corner and not on the roost bar. I figure if they want to get up there, they will. If they aren't hot huddled together, then I'll just leave them alone. They seem fine.

hmm, interesting...my 3 EE pullets love the roost, even the tiny one in their little cage, inside the coop (I am integrating them in)...when I let them out, they hop onto the larger roost..yours will pick it up, when they want to...chickens usually like to roost at the highest point they can find.

Back
Top Bottom