Any Paint People on here?

Quote:
No, Paint is not just a color. It is a breed that is basically a painted Quarter Horse, Appendix QH, a percentage of Thoroughbred blood is allowed too. A crop-out AQHA can be registered a Paint, when the white markings extend outside the acceptable AQHA breed qualifications either on the face or the legs. Paint, aka APHA, aka American Paint Horse Association, is very much a BREED, and one of the largest breed associations in the USA, I think it falls 2nd to AQHA, haven't checked lately. Now Pinto, that is a true color. A registered or nonregistered PINTO can be of any breed, ANY mix of breeds, ranging from a pinto Arab to your backyard mutt horse. It's a color. Paint is not a color, it's a breed. But it is often loosely used to call a pinto marked horse a paint, and that's where the confusion comes in. Paints are colored QH's. There is no Arabian, TWH, ASB, etc., in a true Paint horse.
wink.png

Last edited:
Quote:
^

Thank you!

Pinto is a color. Paint is a breed.

Although I can't prove my horses are paints because they are non registered. They have the basic quarter horse shape. So therefore they are unregistered paints.

Any spotted horse is a pinto.

A paint is a flashy QH. As High Roost Ranch has said. And I love both my Registered QH and my paints.

Bantamlover23
Since we are on the subject of paints. I am looking for another paint filly. I was wondering does anyone know a good place to get a nice pedigreed paint filly.

Gah. You should never get a baby as your first horse. And you should never train your first horse.
barnie.gif

It's unfair to both of you to learn together when neither of you know what your doing.

Believe me. I got a horse, after 8 years of riding lessons. And all my friends decided they wanted one too. They went out and bought young horses and babies, when they had never ridden before in their life. And I didn't turn out well.

If you have experience with horses. You could get a baby. But even then. Your first horse should be a gentle older horse. So you can learn. And it can put up with your mistakes without ruining it.

ETA: Oh wait I read that wrong. You already have a show horse.
roll.png
Sorry nevermind. lol My mistake.

Anyway it's still good information for someone wanting a baby for their first horse.​

Last edited:
Quote:
Gah. You should never get a baby as your first horse. And you should never train your first horse.
barnie.gif

It's unfair to both of you to learn together when neither of you know what your doing.

Believe me. I got a horse, after 8 years of riding lessons. And all my friends decided they wanted one too. They went out and bought young horses and babies, when they had never ridden before in their life. And I didn't turn out well.

If you have experience with horses. You could get a baby. But even then. Your first horse should be a gentle older horse. So you can learn. And it can put up with your mistakes without ruining it.

ETA: Oh wait I read that wrong. You already have a show horse.
roll.png
Sorry nevermind. lol My mistake.

Anyway it's still good information for someone wanting a baby for their first horse.

I completely agree with that. That babies and newbie do not get along. When I first started riding my first horse was 25 y ear old standardbred mare that taught me a lot, then I moved to another 25 year old QH/TB cross, then I move a 16 year old arab/qh cross who was more than I was used to but he was a good teacher, and now I have my 10 year old paint gelding who I have restarted. I have been riding since I was little and the paint in this thread I have restarted because the only training he had was when he was a 3 year old. He spent from the time he was 3 to 8 years old in a stall doing nothing. The old owner did not want him dirty. It has not been easy but he has turned into a horse that I am thinking about doing mounted posse with. I have competed in obstacle challenges with him. The first one I had taken him to was less than a year of having him and we took 5th out of about 30 horses in my division. I have also shown him a lot even we may not alway have a great show he still does well. And he has turned into an awesome trail horse. Also while I was training I never had any help from a trainer until last year and then I had to stop using her because I could not afford her. Sorry to go off but I am really proud with what I have accomplished with him.

IMG_1327-2.jpg

Edited because I cannot spell.

Last edited:
Quote:
There is NO association of color and temperment in horses. (That was my point above.)
I am well aware of paint associations. However, "breeding stock" animals should not be registerable in paint horse associations if the genetics are strong enough to always pass on the color.
Yet...they are.
I, personally love paint and pinto horses' coloring. (Bantamlover23, your horse is gorgeous!) A great many breeds have adopted paint lines over the last 1/2 a century, probably because there was a lot of a particular breed's genetics in the horses, already. There was a BIG fight in the Appaloosa breeding community in the 1980's-1990's over whether a horse with a spotted blanket(on the rump). but built like a QH, was a member of the breed, or if only leopard spotted horses with "scraggly tails" were. (For those who don't know the Nez Perce BRED a short tail.)
I ALSO like a wide pool of genes in breeding horses. There is already way too much inbreeding which creates problems like the "Impressive" QH line, and blindness in Cremolo QH's. (There are many other breeds that have problems, too--not picking on the QH people.)
I JUST wanted people on the forum who don't know a lot about horses, to know that a horse that pins his ears or kicks you is NOT representative of either the breed OR the color. My goodness, if bright chestnut horses were all "hot", then the majority of ALL horses would be, because this is the most common color in ALL horses. So...don't think I don't know breeds, or that I am a breed purist. I happen to put color LAST on my list of criteria when I buy a horse. That's all.
big_smile.png

Actually AQHA and APHA both changed thier rules somewhat recently, AQHA has completely done away w/ the white rule and APHA now requires atleast one parent be a paint.

Ducks4you I have never heard anything about cremellos (QH or otherwise) having problems w/ blindness, I'm going to assume it's a fairly recent discovery since AQHA only recently accepted cremellos, where can I read about this?

Quote:
I guess I have to bone up on rule books for AQHA & APHA, it's been 12 yrs since I was in the breeding business. That's an interesting statement that cremello is experiencing sight issues. When I was riding reiners in the late 80's and early 90's, a lot of the cremellos were I believe coming from the Hollywood Jack line, two of the many I rode during that time period were cremellos, and at that time there was never an issue with sight problems. I'd be interested in learning more myself.

The APHA overo with the eyeliner is to die for. I don't usually go for bald face horses because I don't like white around the eye, but the eyeliner marking makes up for that in that gelding.

I have a Tobiano colt that we plan to stand at stud IF he manages to retain his jewels. So far he has been a good boy and I am starting him this year under saddle.

So far he is saddle broke and I have sat on him for a total of about 6 minutes. He seams to take everything in stride. He has already been hauled a lot of places and stood at the trailer.

His sire is Natural Hitter, a reserve World Champ, and international breeding sire.
His dam is an all around great horse, built like a bulldog, bombproof and will do whatever you want her to.

This photo was taken just about a month or so ago. He is already 15h and will be a 3 year old in Jan.
KHR Spencive Hit:
101209_spence_quarter_view.jpg

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom