any Pit Bull owners here?

wjallen05

Songster
11 Years
Apr 8, 2008
North Georgia
Just wondering if there was anyone on this forum who had a Pit Bull.
You know, the APBT was the number one family pet back in the early 1900s. Petey of the Little Rascals was a Pit, and Helen Keller owned a Pit! Anyway though, we are getting a PB puppy this weekend. I am very excited, I have been wanting one for a long time. Our family, of course, is flipping out over it. My father-in-law told me that the PB would kill my chickens! What the heck? My Border Collie/Aussie mix actually attacked and killed one of our pullets when we were first getting into chickens. She hasn't done it since then, b/c I got on to her for it. So, just wondering who else has Pit Bulls and chickens!
smile.png

I have AmStaffs and chickens. Mostly I keep them separate. Our male is trustworthy under supervision. Both b!tches have to be leashed it the chickens are out.

I would get a female. If she was raised around chickens I don't think you'll have a problem as long as you make it clear that chcikens are not for chasing or playing with from day one. Sounds like you can do that just fine.

Our dogs were several years old before we got the chickens, and I think I have convinced the girls not to bother them, but I'm not going to trust them because they are both fairly predacious. I'm just being careful.

None of them are ever left alone with chickens.

Last edited:
Oh okay, gotcha. I have my heart set on a female. I do plan on raising her with chickens from the beginning. I am also going to socialize the heck out of her. I hope to help raise a positive image of the breed.

Last edited:
I have a pitbull/boxer x german shepherd/chow mix. xD

He's awesome with the birds; he protects them from the neighbor's dogs.

He was here before they were too, so I think raising baby birds (which he took care of) around him helped prevent chasing and preying on them.

I have owned pits for the past 10 years. These dogs are very smart and loyal, but with that being said they have a prey drive that rivals any other dog. They love the chase and I think they like the catch even more
rant.gif
. Alot of it really depends on the disposition of the dog. One dog may be easily trained not to mess with the chickens while another dog just wont ever seem to get it. They are hard headed so sometimes it takes awhile for them to get it, but definetely can. Now if it were me and I had to choose male or female I would probably choose male everytime. The girls can be quite a handful, and more than one female and its usually trouble. Just be sure to provide lots of affection and possitive guidence and socialize you will have a SUPER awesome dog. Be sure to get us some pics when you get her. Good luck!

Chef

Back
Top Bottom