Any place to buy day old chicks in a quantity of only 4?

Discussion in 'Chicken Breeders & Hatcheries' started by Chocobo, May 27, 2011.

1. txhomegrown

txhomegrown Songster

Dec 18, 2010
    Como, TX
    I try to buy all my chicks and hatching eggs from local breeders. I can see them before I buy them and pretty well know what I am getting before I lay out any money. I also like being able to see where they are raised.
    Check on local breeders in your area. As mentioned earlier, Craig's List can be a good place to start. Ask the people at the local feed stores if they know anyone that sells birds locally. They might even let you post a notice that you are looking for certain breeds and that could lead to a good contact or two. Computers are great, but nothing beats a little legwork and face to face talking.

2. Chocobo

Chocobo Chirping

May 27, 2011
    Thanks for the info everyone. I will look into these places ASAP.
    I live in Austin Texas if anyone can think of places not mentioned yet.

3. chaosfactory

chaosfactory In the Brooder

May 27, 2011
    Tallahassee
    We got 6 chicks almost 5 weeks ago from mypetchicken.com. This is my first go with chickens and I have no idea about their reputation or history but they did right by me. We got what we ordered although they did call me the day before shipping and told me the 2 buff orpingtons I ordered didn't hatch and gave me the option of a substitution or refund. I was on the way home from camping with my very loud family in the car and the nice lady was patient and explained the breeds they did have available and which were the most similar in temperament and laying and I chose gold laced wyandottes. They arrived hungry and thirsty and just fine. We did lose one easter egger at about 3 weeks old....she just got all ruffled and droopy wings for no reason I could find and after a few days just died. They are almost 5 weeks old now and I'm about 90% sure they are all hens, which is what I ordered!

4. Chocobo

Chocobo Chirping

May 27, 2011
    Quote:I'm sure this is a silly question but how would I search for local grain stores? Will a google search of "grain store" turn them up or is there a proper name for places that also sell chicks in addition to supplies?

5. Nambroth

Nambroth Fud Lady

Apr 7, 2011
    Western NY
    My Coop
    Quote:I'm sure this is a silly question but how would I search for local grain stores? Will a google search of "grain store" turn them up or is there a proper name for places that also sell chicks in addition to supplies?

This isn't perfect but is a good place to start. Go to maps.google.com and type in "Feed stores near (your town's name)" and you can search that way if you'd like. For example "Feed stores near Austin, TX"
    http://maps.google.com/maps?f=q&sou...=feed+stores&hnear=Austin,+Travis,+Texas&z=11

Sometimes it's not 'smart' but it is a helpful resource to start with.

(note there is more than one page of results... scroll down on the left column to click through all the pages)

6. Blue Seal is probably the grain sold i your area. Just type in Blue Seal Grain Dealers and it should come up with a search by state. Ace Hardware stores usually sell grain/chicks also as does Tractor Supply, so hopefully you can find someone. Hope this helps!

Last edited: May 28, 2011

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by: