Any recommended Fall/Winter food?

I've given this some thought too.
My birds are the beneficiaries of my family's excess all the time. Nothing goes to waste here.
It'll slow down a lot in the winter, and the grass will be dead, but I certainly don't plan on buying veggies just for the birds.
I WILL ask the cafeteria people at my school/job to save their veggie / fruit scraps for my birds.

Perhaps you can do something similar at your job or in your neighborhood.

Quote:
how do you know you are giving them 20% of layer crumbles? is that what is on the bag?? i used to purchase a large 40# bag of layer crumble when i had all adult pullets, but never noticed it said a %age. right now i have 3 pullets almost 1 year old, 4 bantam cochins that are unknown age to me, and 4 silkies that are 4 months old. i only have 1 coop and 1 run and don't know how to section off what the adults can eat, so i am giving them all grower crumble and scratch with egg shells and oyster shell on the side. last winter i gave my previous flock frozen corn (thawed) that we gleaned from the farmers field to supplement their winter layer ration. peas sound interesting; when i am done using the frozen peas as a ice pack for my aching hip and knee, they might like it...

Great idea carress, for the saving of veggies at cafeteria, I am planning on growing some flats of sorghum seeds indoor this year and feeding my biddies some for treats this winter, may spout a few more things in addition as well.

Quote:
GREAT!!! I HATE peas. I can take out all my children frustrations on being forced to eat those things and throw them to my chickens!!! Wonderful idea, thanks.

I may even take pity on my pea loving husband and toss him a few. I generally refuse to cook those things. EWWWW

Chickman, I know the winters here in MI cab be very harsh at least last year certainly was. We are close to the lake & we get the wind really bad. I am worried about my chickens already.

I plan on feeding them some warm oatmeal on the real cold nights. They love that! I even heard of warming milk for them that they love milk. Feeding them in the early evening should help them to be full to make it through the night.

Quote:
Actually, there was a long thread about if corn raises the body temperature and from what I read, it Doesn't.

Yeah I was going to ask for the science behind Corn = warmth?

what do people think is in feed, mash, crumbs, what ever? corn is a big part of it.

I own an Irish wolfhound and the crazes on troughs sites carry there 140 lb dogs up and down stairs twice a day because they believe that stairs cause displasia (I know I didn't spell that right) it's NUTS!

Chickens are farm animals and as such they have been bread to exist and provide food on a low maintenance, food and care basis.

I like my chickens and consider them pets but come on now lets use some common sense when posting advice for newbies.

I would be willing to eat my words if someone can find me the science.

sorry if this sounds harsh.

Winter gets nasty here, but kale is very winter-hardy and stays green. We grow a lot of brussels sprouts, and those leaves also stay green all winter. The chickens love the leaves now, so I will continue to harvest them as long as I can dig through the tons of snow we get here. I'm also planning to try sprouting wheat seeds in the basement to give to them. The local food co-op has oatmeal at a dirt-cheap price, so I plan to cook them up some of that for a treat.

wow. Finally, a reason to grow kale! lol

I'll have to do that next year. I think it may be too late now.
wink.png

Back
Top Bottom