Any room for a Brit who loves her chooks ?

Welcome!
ya.gif
There are people from all over on here, and so much good information to learn. My girls are 15 weeks old, and I can't wait for that first egg!!!
pop.gif
I put a tablespoon of apple cider vinegar per gallon in their water every day, and mix some food-grade diatomaceaus earth in their feed, and I'm hoping that keeps any major worm problems away. I also sprinkle the DE in the bedding on their coop, and have it mixed into their dust bath box, as well as rake it into the substrate in their run, and so far so good with no parasite problems. Chickens are SO addictive!!! (so is this site)

hi all, thanks for such a welcome, have been out to the garden centre to buy some ( more ) treats for my girls, yes, i am already giving apple cider vinigar about once a week, and no i havnt seen any lice and mites as yet, three of them are very friendly and let me pick them up for a cuddle, but just one is very aloof and is very wary to come near me, i think she might be the layer, but she has always been a bit stand offish, i will try and upload some photos but not sure yet how to do it,
I come from Kent in England, they call it the garden of england as it is very beautiful, i am very lucky.
yes, it very addictive, i spend quite a lot of time just sitting with them and chatting, they dont seem to mind what i talk about !, my dogs are getting quite jealous but they are also fasinated by them, any advice please on the stand offish one, and why is she like that, i really want to pet here but shes having none of it, chrissie

welcome-byc.gif

I've become addicted to this forum myself so be warned it can happen...LOL I'm fairly new to chickies. We've got our first flock and they are now 25 wks with a half dozen 15 wks in there. We just started getting eggs from 6 of the 8 hens. Our EE laid the prettiest blue egg. I'm soooo jealous...i want a sussex.
yippiechickie.gif

I use the DE (foodgrade) in the coop/run and all over...it works great! Keeps all the buggies away...

Hope you enjoy!!!
thumbsup.gif

bokboklady, some birds (like some people) are just a little standoffish. She may warm up over time, when she sees that friendlier birds get more treats. But she may never be a 'lap chicken'.

I handfeed my birds black oil sunflower seeds or a feed called manna pro a few times a week. The friendly birds get plenty, the standoffish ones get the 'crumbs' left in my hand when I stand up and toss them on the ground. Doesn't take long for the lesson to be learned, and almost all eat out of my hand and let me pick them up for cuddles and to check for 'issues'.
But there are still some birds that will NOT come eat out of my hand.

Last edited:
welcome-byc.gif
from Westminster Maryland. Always room here. I think it's great that we're from all over the place. It can make it a little difficult to talk about the weather though. This is a caring, fun and informative group. You'll like it here.
smile.png

Im loving it here already, its like being part of a big chooky family, thanks all for the imformation, i will try the meal worms when trying to get the black one to feed from my hand as they go crazy for them but i would feel mean if she didnt get any, i,m so soft, i like to treat them all equally, will try and upload some pictures, thanks busymom i will try that stuff in the coop, anyone know how i can upload pictures ?

Quote:
hi there, not sure what plymouth rock looks like but my ark rock is a spin off from a rhode rock, she is very beautiful and friendly, chrissie

Quote:
hi there, not sure what plymouth rock looks like but my ark rock is a spin off from a rhode rock, she is very beautiful and friendly, chrissie

sorry that should say rhode island red, its an age thing !!!

Welcome from across the pond. Wouldn't it be great if the entire world could get along like chicken lovers? This forum is truly addicting. I promised my hubby I would spend half as much time on the computer if we would only get rid of dial-up and get fast internet connection. Oops, I lied. I now spend twice as much time cause now I can look at all the pictures instead of just skimming past them.
lau.gif

Only one thing wrong with this place - sometimes you can go into information overload. Then suddenly you're seeing everything wrong with your chicks - is that bumblefoot? Does she look like she's got lice? Could she be sick? When that happens, you just need to take a deep breath and look at everything right with your feathery friends.

Enjoy those wonderful fresh eggs.

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom