Any sexing pros?

ChristieB76

In the Brooder
Jun 17, 2018
IMG_2838.JPG IMG_2840.JPG IMG_2847.JPG

Hello

I'm new to raising backyard hens. I have two cream legbars, a
Speckled
Sussex and a Rhode Island Red. The Sussex and RIR are just under 6 weeks old and while I understand that I can't be certain for some time I've also been killing for the past month trying to guess their sex. So, I thought I would come here, to the experts (or at the least the more experienced.

I'm leaning towards pullets. I've included pictures of their combs, spurs and tails.

Attachments

• IMG_2851.JPG
    IMG_2851.JPG
    670.7 KB · Views: 22
  • IMG_2852.JPG
    IMG_2852.JPG
    662.7 KB · Views: 19
  • IMG_2854.JPG
    IMG_2854.JPG
    323.6 KB · Views: 19
  • IMG_2858.JPG
    IMG_2858.JPG
    391.7 KB · Views: 19
Rhode Island is a rooster.
Also if you look at the area of the eye just before the beak, see that stretch, that's also a sign that it's a rooster.
This is incorrect.

The only things that point to Roos are the comb and wattles. At 12 weeks, male specific feathering comes in.

It's very important not to tell people things that are not true. You need to at least have proof or experience in methods. 1 bird, that's just coincidence.
Both these birds are pullets, so please be more careful.

You see that part were the eye is, if you will, stretched, that's exactly what my had and it ended up being a rooster.
That was probably just a feature unique your particular rooster. :) Never noticed this in any of my cockerels.
Well I think I still have a good month before he (she?) starts crowing. So I won't fret just yet.
Sounds about right. ;) Best not to worry as of now. :)

~Alex

Agree with Crazy for Chickens. These look like pullets. At six weeks the only thing to look for is wattle growth and comb growth and redness. Spurs, hackle and sickle feathers all come much later. The RIR has a bit of colour in her comb but single combed chicks develop earlier than some other breeds and by six weeks a cockerel would have bigger wattles and comb. I say both are girls.

Back
Top Bottom