Any suggestions for an incubator divider?

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by shelleyb1969, Feb 12, 2009.

1. shelleyb1969

shelleyb1969 Star Bright Farm

Does anyone have any suggestions on what I can use to keep chicks separated as they hatch in my Hovabator? [​IMG]

I've got 4 different generations/crosses of sizzles (14 eggs) due to hatch next week, as well as some BBS bantam orpingtons (6 eggs) and 2 frizzle mutt eggs. I need to keep each different generation/cross of sizzle separated, so that I can color mark them when I put them in the brooder. So I've got 6 different "breeds" that I need to keep divided until the hatch is over. [​IMG]

I haven't been able to think of anything that is safe with the high temp in the bator, and is tall enough to keep the chicks from crossing over. [​IMG]
    But then again, I'm down with the flu so my brain isn't functioning at full capacity right now. [​IMG]

Thanks for any help! [​IMG]

2. daisychick

daisychick Incubator Tetris Master Consultant

Feb 8, 2009
    Colorado
    what about an "x" made out of cardboard. Cut a slit in the middle of each piece and fit them together??? Would that work?

3. ranchhand

ranchhand Rest in Peace 1956-2011

Aug 25, 2008
    SC
    Cardboard might absorb too much moisture, dropping the humidity, or getting soggy and messy.

I'd go for some plastic drawer divider pieces.

Hope you feel better soon!

4. Fudgie

Fudgie Hatching Queen - Got Fudge?

Sock drawer dividers that are plastic should work!

5. shelleyb1969

shelleyb1969 Star Bright Farm

Quote:Thanks so much! [​IMG]

6. twigg

twigg Cooped up

Mar 2, 2008
    Tulsa
    Quote:Incubator temps are modest .... a tupperware container, or similar, would e fine.

7. BeardedChick

BeardedChick Chillin' With My Peeps

I wouldn't use anything solid like cardboard because it can disrupt the airflow and create hot spots in the bator (been there, done that [​IMG] ). I just bend a piece of hardware cloth into a little pen, either a circle or a little 'corral' at one end of the 'bator. The air flows and it's very sanitary.

8. twigg

twigg Cooped up

Mar 2, 2008
    Tulsa
    Quote:Airlow isn't an issue for the chicks that have hatched. It's really quite easy to pop them in a plastic box or add a wire divider as you suggest.

9. Katy

Katy Flock Mistress

I just use a strip of cardboard that I've cut to fit. I duct-tape the ends to the sides of the bator. I haven't had any issues with it messing up the humidity.

10. twigg

twigg Cooped up

Mar 2, 2008
    Tulsa
    Quote:Neither is it likely to. It might get a bit soggy is all.

Cardboard around eggs is an issue with egg cartons, or with sheets of paper towel, etc, on the base. A simple divider should e perfectly fine.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by