Any suggestions for attending my first poultry show?

KimsNest

Songster
Nov 24, 2022
Georgia
Hello feather lovers. I’m not new to chickens but will be attending my first poultry show next month in GA. Apparently it’s a huge show! Swap meet is the 1st and 2nd day and show is 2nd and 3rd. I’ve read 2 great tips of bringing a wagon with cages for what you plan to buy and attending the second day is best. What about bringing cash vs cards, getting there at open (7am I won’t be doing that sorry) and are the prices firm or can you negotiate? Just any advice is appreciated.
Pic of my eggs bc my girls are currently rocking it.
Thanks!

Attachments

• 8A4F8B0E-4D00-41EC-ABEF-30369B8E7B4D.jpeg
    8A4F8B0E-4D00-41EC-ABEF-30369B8E7B4D.jpeg
    607.3 KB · Views: 21
Are you attending as an exhibitor?
Cash is always king when you don't know if there will be a means to use a card. Even the big shows I've attended usually had no such thing. You will be dealing one on one with individual vendors. Likely no counter, register or credit card machine.
Make a list of what you need before you go so you don't get carried away and buy things you don't.

Are you attending as an exhibitor?
Cash is always king when you don't know if there will be a means to use a card. Even the big shows I've attended usually had no such thing. You will be dealing one on one with individual vendors. Likely no counter, register or credit card machine.
Make a list of what you need before you go so you don't get carried away and buy things you don't.
Attending as a buyer. Thank you for answering and I’ll try to cap myself by bringing a certain amount of cash for birds and then some for concession stands etc

Hi. Your girls really ARE rocking it! 😍 I am attending my first one in CA this weekend and had similar questions. Hadn’t thought about cash and cages but now it seems obvious! 😂

I’m wondering if anyone can ballpark what we can expect to pay, say for a Silkie/Polish v. Orpington v Cayuga duck? I’m assuming it will be higher as they probably come from breeding stock??

Hi. Your girls really ARE rocking it! 😍 I am attending my first one in CA this weekend and had similar questions. Hadn’t thought about cash and cages but now it seems obvious! 😂

I’m wondering if anyone can ballpark what we can expect to pay, say for a Silkie/Polish v. Orpington v Cayuga duck? I’m assuming it will be higher as they probably come from breeding stock??
Thanks for replying! I’ve found a lot of info on my county’s show through their FB page. Buyers post what they are looking for and sellers post pics etc.
Apparently the seller cannot post a price because the page will get “flagged” but they will ask you to PM and discuss monies with you privately.
So great question. I also think the current egg gauges are making A LOT of people want backyard chickens so they are hot commodities.
I pray for our bank accounts. But it’s an investment for our future! Lol

Oh no, I hope I don’t have to compete with people who want to combat egg prices by getting show quality birds! 🙈 I’ll show them some Craigslist posts and elbow them outta the way! 🤣

Sounds like your area is into it! Nothing like that on the FB pages for the Poultry Assoc or the Fair that I have seen for ours. 😞

Well, I hope you find some real gems and that we both don’t go broke! Post pics here so I can see!

Oh no, I hope I don’t have to compete with people who want to combat egg prices by getting show quality birds! 🙈 I’ll show them some Craigslist posts and elbow them outta the way! 🤣

Sounds like your area is into it! Nothing like that on the FB pages for the Poultry Assoc or the Fair that I have seen for ours. 😞

Well, I hope you find some real gems and that we both don’t go broke! Post pics here so I can see!

Toot toot, I'll be down there too. Based on what I've seen folks say, Friday after lunch, and Saturday before lunch, will be the best time to buy from sellers.

Back
Top Bottom