Any suggestions for my girl?

dreamyj

Songster
8 Years
Aug 1, 2015
Shelby Ohio
My hen Opal is breathing very strangely. I have brought her inside. Currently have the vaporizer with oxine running. She was like this a couple of weeks ago. I had her in for a few days. Treated with tylan 50 injectable and the oxine. She was breathing normal and wanted out of cage so I returned her to the flock. Also gave her a dose of valbazen but have not yet given second dose. She is eating and drinking. Poop is good. She has not layed in quite awhile and her last few were soft shell. She is about 1 1/2 yrs old bo. She also had a bumblefoot which my husband and I performed surgery on. Poor girl has had her share of troubles lately! No one else is showing any breathing issues. Is it respiratory? I made a video but can't figure out how to add it to this post. I have several medications on hand but not sure which would be best for her. I have oxine, tylan, corid, duramycin, la200, sulfadimethoxine, denagard, not sure what else. Oh and I have baytril on the way. Also have safeguard and valbazen wormers. What would you suggest to help my poor Opal?

I'm not great with illnesses, but I would suggest keeping her inside, away from the cold. For now, I would do the same thing you did last time and see if that works. Continue making sure that she is at least drinking, and if she will eat too, great! Is she still active?

Sorry about your girl.Can you open her beak and check for any abnormalities Inflammation,Gapeworm.Its easier to open the beak with assistance.Can you feel her neck for any thing stuck?

We do not feel or see anything. Her breathing is still like in the video this morning. No change after injecting 1 cc la200 and oxine in vaporizer all day. I am very scared for her.

Okay, I watched the video and I saw how she was breathing. It almost sounds like she was wheezing, and I noticed another thing, it seems that the feathers are missing on her head. I thought that she may have lice, but I'm not positive and don't know much about it. I do know that it causes a reduction in egg production and makes the bird lose feathers as well as have difficulty breathing. Go ahead and look up "lice on chickens" and tell me if you think that's a possibility. :)

Thank you for the advice. I appreciate you taking time for me. I actually found a vet that would see her about an hour and a half from me. She went this morning. He thinks it is a fungal infection of some sort in her lungs. They only had enough of the medicine for 3 doses. It has to be made at a compounding pharmacy. So hopefully I will get it Monday if she makes it. She seems to be breathing worse now and her comb it beginning to get slight purpleish. I feel so bad for her watching her struggle to breath. I think she is a fighter. She did eat a few mealworms for me just a little while ago (her favorite!) and took a couple of sips of water. Please say a little prayer for my precious little Opal chicken.

Back
Top Bottom