Any suggestions for shipping a dog??

Won't the dog have to stay in quarentine(sp?) for awhile after reaching the mainland? At least when my sister moved from Boston to Hawaii years back, she was told that once the cat got to Hawaii it would have to stay in quarentine for 3 months. Maybe this has changed. She decided to find the cat a home before leaving.

Quote:
Ditto. Thats what I would do if I was in your position.

I would never ever ship a dog in cargo, don't care what breed it is. Personally, I think its cruel.

Good Luck!!!
smile.png

My sister is going to look into having Tank flying in the with passengers. We've never heard of dogs having their own seat. Her DH is the one who will be flying over with him, so he would be able to give full attn to him. (shes brought kids ahead of time).

Tank is a deaf bulldog, living on a island with too many dogs, and huge dog fighting problems. They fear what would happen if they left them, not to mention they made the commitment of bringing him in the family, and its not one she takes lightly.

Have her goto the vet, have the list the dog as a therapy companion dog that relieves her fear of flying. She can get a service dog vest (some petsmart/petco have them) or online. She will have to pay for him to fly, but it will be safer for him.

Quote:
Um, yeah, for the price of a ticket you do get a seat. Poor pressure and temp control in the hold makes travelinjg there hard on any animal and especially so on one that we have physically modified so radically in our selective breeeding process.

The cargo bin in a commercial airliner is separated from the cabin only by the cabin floor. The ENTIRE aircraft is pressurized. It is also climate controlled in the cargo bin. Where you get into problems is on taxi out, and taxi in, when there is no air flow, or very little. You have all been on an airliner in the summer and roasted on taxi out until the power goes up and the bleed air starts pushing the climate control. I speak from a certain level of experience as I worked for an airline for 10 years, and have nearly 10,000 hours of actual air time.

This is a dangerous time of year to ship any dogs because of the heat factor. Wishing you luck in figuring out other options.

Quote:
No. Dogs and cats must be quarantined going into Hawaii because it is a rabies-free island. Since we have rabies here on the mainland there is no reason to quarantine.

Quote:
No. Dogs and cats must be quarantined going into Hawaii because it is a rabies-free island. Since we have rabies here on the mainland there is no reason to quarantine.

Wow...thats interesting. I did not know that. Learn something new everyday!

Back
Top Bottom