Any suggestions on how to solve our frostbite problem?

• Hi, I live up at the very top of Norway, at the moment we have tons of snow and outside its -29.
    To keep my chickens warm I use a old vw van as a chicken coop, the slighding door is open enough for chickens to come out. There is a wool blanket hung over the open cap with a small gap at the bottom for them to come in and out at will.
    I use the deep bedding method which works really well and i scatter food on that so they scratch it over. There is one heat lamp which keeps it fairly warm in there. I keep water out of there totally
    So far no frost bite :) i think the key is keeping water away from them as it would freeze on them so quick, now the day light is slowly coming back they are venturing out a bit more so i will keep an eye out.
    Iam led to believe that once frost bite is there then there is very little you can do. Prevention is better than the cure i guess.

Predicting -24 for us Monday night now. Pretty cold...but not as bad as that last Vortex beast. Our summer heat isn't usually too bad here. We get a few days of 90- 100 once in a great while...but summers are usually 70's, 80's. lots of trees around my yard for the chooks...and they'll stay on the north side of the house...droop their wings to cool and slurp on the waterer I put by the house with the frozen water bottle in it. Pretty lucky in the summer....we take our pounding in the winter.

• Hi, I live up at the very top of Norway, at the moment we have tons of snow and outside its -29.
    To keep my chickens warm I use a old vw van as a chicken coop, the slighding door is open enough for chickens to come out. There is a wool blanket hung over the open cap with a small gap at the bottom for them to come in and out at will.
    I use the deep bedding method which works really well and i scatter food on that so they scratch it over. There is one heat lamp which keeps it fairly warm in there. I keep water out of there totally
    So far no frost bite :) i think the key is keeping water away from them as it would freeze on them so quick, now the day light is slowly coming back they are venturing out a bit more so i will keep an eye out.
    Iam led to believe that once frost bite is there then there is very little you can do. Prevention is better than the cure i guess.

Hi & welcome to BYC!
So, what do you do for water? Do they eat snow?

we could use the vortex out west. Really what we need is the Pineapple express where it dumps 6 to 10 inches of rain  in a week or so.

This is the driest its been here since records where kept.

Yes I saw that on the news that you guys are having a bad drought and alot of fires,hopefully the weather changes soon.

For chicken hats, if you have any small baby/toddler size socks that no longer have pairs, cut the toe part off, make a small hole on each side and attach some yarn to tie under the chin. Voila, instant chicken hat. ;)

Me too!!
pop.gif
I can't see any of my chickens not clawing that off and thumbing their beaks at me as they walked away.

Back
Top Bottom