Any suggestions on how to solve our frostbite problem?

I think there is an important difference between ventilation and draft. When it gets crazy cold it is very important to keep the birds in an enclosed space without draft. And it is very important to keep them hydrated as well. Good circulation is enhanced by hydration. Frostbite is exacerbated by dehydration. If the water is frozen the birds will dehydrate. Their respiration and body mass in an enclosed, draft free coop adds heat (and moisture) to the air. The addition of heat is a good thing in frostbite prevention. And it is not necessary to make it warm, just make it not so cold that the birds combs will freeze.

I personally have had good success in weather in the teens, by leaving the coop lights on, (two regular ceiling mounted 60 watt incandescent bulbs. I keep the coop stuffed with straw. The bulbs give off a considerable amount of heat, and when, combined with the birds body heat, and the enclosed space inside the coop and the effort of keeping them from dehydration all pay dividends. Also, I believe the light on all night tends to keep the birds moving about and feeding which is also preventive of frostbite.

Of course, I am here in Georgia, where it gets pretty cold, but nothing like the crazy cold ya'll in the UP have to deal with. (I have been there in Feb). In that case, I would insulate the coop and make it so that it could be closed up tight to retain what heat they and the lights can generate. Plus those hats. Although with alot of birds, you would need a pretty big hat rack.

Last edited:
Well I am in stages of building my coop. I have one first floor window facing east on the garage which is on the north side of the house. I also have two slider windows facing south sun from noon til evening. But those windows are in pathway to the garage door.

I was thinking about building a coop with wheels on it inside the garage, so I can use it in the summer on the north side window that will have a large caged in walk in run and using the roll coop to be rolled over to the sunny windows on dangerous cold days like 17 below as we had today. I wouldn't use a heater in that area because the sun is really warmer on that side of the garage. So winter wouldnt be so harsh on them.

But the north side which faces east and only gets morning sun, would be probably the most of the time for them to be outside in the elements. I am hoping to get some plans together and definitely have a open/close vent close to the top for ventilation. No I do not plan to have roosters. But would like my girls to be comfortable. Getting some great ideas on this site. Margolyn

This is my first winter with chickens and with the record lows we've been having I've been a wreck worrying about my chicks! It was -7F this morning. I have no electricity to my coop so no heater. My girls did fine! (as far as I can tell). I think if they can handle last nights cold, they should be able to handle anything Maryland can throw at them.

I have a 6 x 4 ft coop with 12 hens- standard breeds and 5 Silkies. Thick pine shavings on the floor and the front window opened about 2". I removed their water and clean the poo out of the dropping board about 1/week (this week it was Sunday). There are no vents under the eves, but I'm going to get some put in asap.

No signs of frostbite that I can see. I didn't put anything on them (Vaseline, etc). I don't have any roosters, from reading this thread they seem to be more susceptible with their larger combs/wattles.

I think all is well in my coop!!
yesss.gif

i started with a 4x8 coop, that same yr. it grew into 12x8 next yr. 20x 8 , last yr. it turned so it is now in a L shape of 20x8 turn 20x8. i am now in the process of adding a dog kennel that is another 10x20. im pretty sure the sun shines somewhere in that coop . beware the chicken math !!
ep.gif

It seems that it must be a ventilation issue. The highest roosts are about 2 1/2-3 feet below the top of the coop. One eave has been open, but the other is blocked. We have 12 large and 6 bantam chickens in a roughly 8 by 10 coop. It has a 4 inch air gap between the double wall, but no other insulation.

We live in Northwest Indiana about 15 miles from Lake Michigan. Our temperatures are all over the place here. I start noticing frostbite around 15 degrees and it's usually just the roosters (unless I fed them warm oatmeal like last year....I can second your experience!). The rooster that has it this year has been roosting all by himself in front of a window. Poor guy is barely going to have any tips left after this winter.

I have talked to other people in my area that don't have problems with frostbite, so it makes me think I need to improve something.
It could be that the fighting "mother nature thing" is happening to you. Relative humidity outside and dropping temps. Very difficult to fight. You can't. 15 miles from lake Michigan I'm guessing is an issue. Is the lake frozen or is it open near you? It could be the Great Lake is throwing humidity into the wintry mix. That's tough...IMO. You could make sure you've got the ventilation happening on the non prevailing wind side...and close the vents where the cold dumps into the coop. (North and West sides) Bunk it up with some snow on those sides to insulate. Make sure the poo is not creating a moisture issue....top off with a new bag of pine shavings. There was a lady who mentioned a fan earlier on the thread. Maybe a small one of those pointed out towards the South and east vents to kick that moisture out. If I could figure out a way to install something like this I might do it:

This is from Eggclucktic Acres:

That little spinny thing on the roof would draw some moisture out you'd think. My Dad made this suggestion to me last winter. The only thing is with this is I think it might be a bit aggressive for my coop and take out some of the warmth and not just the moisture. IDK...
I'm sorry this is happening to you. I really sympathize. Frostbite is not a fun thing to see on your birds.
sad.png
Personally my next step outside of insulating and heating would be the gooped on bag balm.

This may have been mentioned but breed selection is also a big art of it. Birds with large single combs tend to be more prone to frost bite. If you live in a colder climate try to stick to breeds with pea combs as they are less likely to develop an issue.

Back
Top Bottom